2000 gallon indoor Build

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
Hi everyone!

I’m starting a pond build and using the stacked 2x4 method. The pond will be 16’ x 6’ x 36”

My only concern is the height and bowing of the pond. I’m going to use a 45 mil pond liner with a layer of 1/2 foam in between the 2x4 and liner.
The bottom has a layer of carpet and 1” of foam.

Pics attached and let me know what you think. I’m head some thought on bowing but i figure this should be fine. I’ve seen some people utilize this method to 24-30” heights.

for reference the black roll is 41” long

F3B3701B-0E52-49F7-A205-4F247F6614DD.jpeg

12B7C7F9-8A0B-49FE-81FE-DC4FC29E6F2A.jpeg

E9087D26-3D92-4A35-B6B8-791F367755C5.jpeg

Joshuakahan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Hi everyone!

I’m starting a pond build and using the stacked 2x4 method. The pond will be 16’ x 6’ x 36”

My only concern is the height and bowing of the pond. I’m going to use a 45 mil pond liner with a layer of 1/2 foam in between the 2x4 and liner.
The bottom has a layer of carpet and 1” of foam.

Pics attached and let me know what you think. I’m head some thought on bowing but i figure this should be fine. I’ve seen some people utilize this method to 24-30” heights.

for reference the black roll is 41” long

View attachment 1515064

View attachment 1515065

View attachment 1515066
jjohnwm jjohnwm

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
jjohnwm jjohnwm do you think this is structurally strong enough with a pond liner to hold?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
This is way out of my wheelhouse; I have built plywood tanks...period.

The most relevant info I could mention is a smaller pond (12 feet) that was built with stacked railway ties to the depth you are planning. It worked great...but, again: railway ties.

Sixteen feet out of 2 x 4 's? I have no idea. Maybe wednesday13 wednesday13 has some insight?

Personally, I think I might have done a bit more research before actually building it...

Good luck with this awesome build, will be following along. :)

Disturbed.)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
I just ran some quick numbers and a sag calculator lit up RED EXCESSIVE. It's hard to get accurate results without consulting an engineer because beams just aren't made from 2X4s so there aren't weight tables for an unsupported beam made of 24 of them. I'm not saying it won't work and hold water but it's gonna flex like Schwarzenegger

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
i think you'll be okay. from my research a 16' 2x4 sat upright (3.5" side) can support between 200-300lbs.
thats the way youll have them loaded in this build. youll want to use alot of faseners or construction adhesive between each one.
my concern would be keeping it secured to the ground. youll more then likely need some kind of anchors into the ground to keep the bottom from lifting.
worst case scenario if they are all glued or fasened tightly together you can do a single 2x8 brace front to back in the center and that would 100% elminate bowing.

Reactions: BIG-G

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
This will weigh in excess of 8 tons; if there is a problem it will certainly not involve the bottom "lifting"....

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I’m no engineer, but thinking how this is layed out it should be ok, the boards are being used in the strongest dimension.
As long as they are connected together in a few locations in the middle.
Like mentioned, a cross brace from front to back would cut the spreading force in half as well.
If it were anchored at the bottom would be best but I don’t think it’s completely necessary.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Just thinking out loud...I wonder if a piece of 2x8 or 2x10...possibly even a double thickness of it...attached along the entire length of the top edges would be a good idea? Would act as a Euro-brace to combat bowing,...would hide the ugly top edge of the liner...provide a shelf to put plant pots, decorations...maybe even a convenient spot to sit while feeding the fish? Maybe even allow the placement of some waterproof underwater lights shining into the tank but not visible from above?

Disturbed.)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
It's not glass so bowing at the top is no biggie but
With nothing across the bottom where the pressure is the greatest the deflection of over an inch could end up being a point of failure. Hopefully someone whis tried this will chime in but I'd seriously consider sandwiching in a layer of 2x6s every 6th course or so and adding some sort of cross bracing at the bottom because Luke is right. With nothing down there water is going to push the liner not just out but also under. But if your bottom course was bolted down that solves the liner issue.

Lol looks like a few of us where typing similar things at the same time

Reactions: BIG-G
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store