2000 gallon indoor Build

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
Thank you everyone so much for the information. I spoke with my dad who is a carpenter by trade and built a ton of concrete form work. Although concrete is 2x+ that of water he says it can hold in the current configuration but don’t go much higher.
He also mentioned adding in corrugated bending as a bracing. So i ran that and a home run. I’m trying to get a better idea and having some engineering friends take a look.

i ran the following calculation on a glass aquarium this big and got the glass would need to be 1” thick for 16’x6’ x36”

but I have no way to rationalize 1” thick glass to 2x4 on their side drilled together.

i looked at VLDESIGNS tank as my thought for this.
his seemed to holdup well structurally and was 23’ x 5’.

as far as the top bracing i’m going to have angle iron welded to span the tank. It will go on over the liner and the cross bracing will support the lids. I will flex seal paint these to make them water proof unless someone has a better suggestion.

B25502B7-F8F3-40B0-B660-DB1A74049D18.jpeg

9E5466C0-89A7-49AC-A0C8-802CC88939F3.jpeg

361EBBAD-8D8E-4BBD-AC53-AFC14C900ECE.png

Reactions: CHOMPERS

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
This will weigh in excess of 8 tons; if there is a problem it will certainly not involve the bottom "lifting"....
notice on the pool ponds people use. the bottom bows out the furthest for obvious reasons. if this has a platform connected to the walls i would agree.
using a liner puts much less downward weight and probably 90% plus to the sides. depending on how much excess liner is used it can lift the sides and start to push the liner under the sides. i have a 16" intex pool in my back yard. when full i can easily lift the steel frame up.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
I just ran some quick numbers and a sag calculator lit up RED EXCESSIVE. It's hard to get accurate results without consulting an engineer because beams just aren't made from 2X4s so there aren't weight tables for an unsupported beam made of 24 of them. I'm not saying it won't work and hold water but it's gonna flex like Schwarzenegger
what calculator are you using? And what depth would show as green?

Also running a liquid calculator the pressure at 30” would be 1.0838 PSI

at 24” deep it would be 0.8647 PSI which seems like more that enough for a 2x4 to withstand.

but this is a lot of water and if it lets go the wife will

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
This will weigh in excess of 8 tons; if there is a problem it will certainly not involve the bottom "lifting"....
but i stand corrected. the OP just posted more pics and he used strapping across the bottom and up the sides to keep them down.

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
notice on the pool ponds people use. the bottom bows out the furthest for obvious reasons. if this has a platform connected to the walls i would agree.
using a liner puts much less downward weight and probably 90% plus to the sides. depending on how much excess liner is used it can lift the sides and start to push the liner under the sides. i have a 16" intex pool in my back yard. when full i can easily lift the steel frame up.
so you are saying keeping the liner nice and tight will help reduce pressure on the bottom?

i could get it on its sides and add a few sheets of plywood to it to help strengthen the bottom

Reactions: CHOMPERS

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
but i stand corrected. the OP just posted more pics and he used strapping across the bottom and up the sides to keep them down.
do you think this will be enough. My dad seems to think it will from his decades of concrete but i’m suspicious

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
do you think this will be enough. My dad seems to think it will from his decades of concrete but i’m suspicious
Personally I would put plywood down and screw it into the bottom of the 2x4s. But it won't take much to keep the sides down. I'm more worried about the straps against the pond liner. If you do plywood bottom and a single 2x8 brace front to back (use something like PL construction adhesive) I'd send it without worry.

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
Personally I would put plywood down and screw it into the bottom of the 2x4s. But it won't take much to keep the sides down. I'm more worried about the straps against the pond liner. If you do plywood bottom and a single 2x8 brace front to back (use something like PL construction adhesive) I'd send it without worry.
i’m going to add a 1/2” later of foam at the bottom and sides between the pond line and 2x4/ floor. For added protection and insulation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store