How to improve sump, and maybe reduce noise ?

Hmontoya93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2020
In the bags I have bio balls, lava rock biomax, and a sponge.
Also it’s kind of loud any way to reduce the noise ?
The tank is 360 gallon and will be stocked fully
Thank you!

Hmontoya93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2020
I fill to the top minus an inch or 2, with the pump off. Then turn on the pump. Unless I top it off a bit more with extra water the third chamber becomes a little low on water. and it gets noisy
What do you mean by loud
Pump, Overflows, etc. ?

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I fill to the top minus an inch or 2, with the pump off. Then turn on the pump. Unless I top it off a bit more with extra water the third chamber becomes a little low on water. and it gets noisy
Don't understand why. Can you post a picture?

Reactions: dr exum

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find the most important factor in a sump, is not loads of bio-media, and what that media is made of, or that the sump has chambers.
But that 80% of my sump/refugium consists of live, nutrient eating plants.
IMG_6829.jpeg
That dark area on the left, is the space I allow for bio-media, mechanical filtration (a Porrett foam wall), and the pump. It is the only cordoned off "chamber" in the 125 gal sump.
The sump also contains a small population of shrimp, to help break down large pieces of plant and other organic material, and a couple small plecos, for algae control (the sump gets 5-6 hours of direct sun)
With the above configuration, and my water change regime, there is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and nitrate remains below 5ppm.
IMG_1953.jpegIMG_6148.jpeg

Last edited:

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Trying to understand; the water from the tank flows into the first/left compartment, overflows the top of the first partition and then must go through the sock to eventually flow under the second partition and into the third/final compartment which contains the return pumps?

Where is the noise coming from? It seems as though the only source of noise in this sump is the point at which the water enters from the tank?

I'm not into filter socks at all, so perhaps I am misinterpreting what I think I see. To me, it seems that the discrepancy in water height between the two sections can only be caused by the clogging of the pores in the sock, and will only get worse as time passes and as the sock collects more debris. As that occurs, the height of the water in the front portion of the sump will increase, and in this sump it can only go up a very small amount before it begins to spill over the top of the second partition and bypass the sock altogether.

In a planted tank, and/or a heavily-stocked tank, this will happen quickly, necessitating very frequent cleaning of the sock; my mech filtration is sponge rather than a sock, and is set up so that the water level above the sponge can rise to a height of 6-8 inches, which "pressurizes" the water and forces it through the slowly-clogging first filter layer. If I experiment with not touching it to see how fast it clogs up, I find that a sheet of 30ppi foam will clog up to the point where that "head" of water cannot force itself through the sponge within a week or so. Layering the foam with coarser-to-finer levels extends this, and a layer of poly on top of the foam extends it even further, but I like to clean the top-most layer at least every couple days, and ideally daily, to maintain a free-flowing filter with no bypass of dirty water into the biomedia.

In your sump I see some sort of blue pad in the first compartment; is that a coarse prefilter to keep your sock cleaner for a longer period of time?

Last edited:
Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The first thing that hits me is the water level in the sump, it seems quite high. Even more so if you consider that sump is running a 360! If you have a relatively high turnover I suspect that in the event of a power outage or pump failure, then that sump could be overwhelmed with the run off, unless those pictures are a little deceiving and in actual fact your sump is quite wide? Have you done a test? Ramp it up to full running and cut the power?

Reactions: jjohnwm

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Im guessing what youre hearing is air coming through the drains somehow. Can you show us some pics of the overflow?

Youre most likely just struggling to fine tune the drains and the water level in the tank so that they dont draw any air on full siphon. Right off the bat one possible suggestion is to lengthen the drain pipe in the sump slightly.
IMG_0107.jpeg
Im not sure exactly what this does, but in my mind it puts more pressure on the drain outlet, makes it easier for the drains to hold siphon. The main reason im suggesting this is you said it quiets down when you fill it up more.

If the noise is water rushing between the baffles themselves then im lost. I dont use baffles in my sumps cause for me they just complicate things.

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store