can pacu fish break tank

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
You can expect these guys to get 2-3 feet full grown - the kiddie pool isn’t much of a difference than the fish’s current size and setting.

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
so what should he do
Get that pond back up, cycle it a lil bit and add a uv filter and pond filter, (output out of water)/aerator and add beneficial bacteria
Pacu are actually known as “tank buster fish” implying they get so big so fast they will either break the tank or themself

Reactions: Joshuakahan

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Get that pond back up, cycle it a lil bit and add a uv filter and pond filter, (output out of water)/aerator and add beneficial bacteria
Pacu are actually known as “tank buster fish” implying they get so big so fast they will either break the tank or themself
he told me that he will try, if he manages to succeed from a tough opposition from his father

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Fwiw, the best option is going to be to rehome the pacu to the lfs and get something much more manageable for the tank size. They are one of those fish that are just impractical/impossible to keep without a multi-thousand gallon setup.
If he wants something similar, there are plenty of smaller serrasalmidae for a 3 foot tank.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
the problem is that where we live, animal abuse is common . every pet store has huge fish in small tanks and they tell the customer that they can also keep these fishes in a small tank. my cousin bought it from a store which was keeping it in a 6 inch plastic box, at that time the fish was 8 inches. it was cramped in there

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
the problem is that where we live, animal abuse is common . every pet store has huge fish in small tanks and they tell the customer that they can also keep these fishes in a small tank. my cousin bought it from a store which was keeping it in a 6 inch plastic box, at that time the fish was 8 inches. it was cramped in there
Make a listing on mfk marketplace or something else so someone with a good home can find it, if your cousin? Likes the look of pacu, silver dollars look like them but are way smaller

EricTheRed

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2015
While he figures it out, I recommend immediately putting the Pacu back in the original pond and increasing the frequency and amount of water changes. At least the poor beast will have enough room to comfortably swim around.

Reactions: neutrino

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
While he figures it out, I recommend immediately putting the Pacu back in the original pond and increasing the frequency and amount of water changes. At least the poor beast will have enough room to comfortably swim around.
the original pond was taken down. i would take time to set it up again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store