Channa pulchra feeding

RichD1011

Feeder Fish
May 26, 2024
The Netherlands
Hi there!

After keeping and breeding with C-A Cichlids for 6 years (and one of my 180x50x50cm/450L (125gal) aquariums becoming available) I decided to change it up and bit and go for Chana sp. One of the wholesalers had Channa pulchra (wildcaught) on the list so i took the opportunity to order 6 of them to hopefully get a breeding pair out of.

Got them in about 2 weeks ago and at the moment they are around 7-8cm/3inch. I keep them on room temperature, which at the moment is about 23,5°C/74°F. I expect the room temperature to be a maximum of 30°C/86 in the summer and a minimum of 18°C/64°F in the winter.

They readily eat frozen bloodworms, krill, mysis & artemia/brine shrimp, krill seems to be the favorite of them all.
I've also fed them live shrimp once and they went crazy over that!

Now my question is.. with my C-A Cichlids i am used to feed the fry/juveniles about 2-3 times a day and the adults once a day.
But what is best with channa species? I know you generally feed them less when the temperature drops, but is there also a "rule" for the current length of the fish?
That said: for the next couple of months (going into the summer) the temperature will only rise.

If anyone can shine a light on this that would be much appreciated!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi there!

After keeping and breeding with C-A Cichlids for 6 years (and one of my 180x50x50cm/450L (125gal) aquariums becoming available) I decided to change it up and bit and go for Chana sp. One of the wholesalers had Channa pulchra (wildcaught) on the list so i took the opportunity to order 6 of them to hopefully get a breeding pair out of.

Got them in about 2 weeks ago and at the moment they are around 7-8cm/3inch. I keep them on room temperature, which at the moment is about 23,5°C/74°F. I expect the room temperature to be a maximum of 30°C/86 in the summer and a minimum of 18°C/64°F in the winter.

They readily eat frozen bloodworms, krill, mysis & artemia/brine shrimp, krill seems to be the favorite of them all.
I've also fed them live shrimp once and they went crazy over that!

Now my question is.. with my C-A Cichlids i am used to feed the fry/juveniles about 2-3 times a day and the adults once a day.
But what is best with channa species? I know you generally feed them less when the temperature drops, but is there also a "rule" for the current length of the fish?
That said: for the next couple of months (going into the summer) the temperature will only rise.

If anyone can shine a light on this that would be much appreciated!
Welcome aboard
Back in the early 1980's you could buy juvenile channa micropeltes aka Redline Snakehead. My mother kept 2 of them they were voracious predator fish. They would eat about 5 3 inch comet goldfish feeders. They would get fed again once their belly was normal again. Feed the young ones the same to deter them from eating each other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store