Max size of the Heterotilapia Buttikoferi?

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
So I got into a debate with this guy who says Butti don’t get over 12 inches and I was like what?! I’ve seen a lot of misinformation online that they max out at 12 inches but we all know that’s not true. Females in many cichlid species are about 4-6 inches smaller than males and my female was a little over 11.5 inches at her TOD, so let’s just say 12 inches. I’m not saying she’s an exceptional female of her species, I think she falls into the average size range of a female Buttikoferi. I myself has seen a large individual in an aquarium and it looked to be about 15-16 inches. I’ve heard that some members have had some monsters of over 15 inches so can anyone vouch for that? Just a lot of misinformation all around so I’d like to hear all the Buttikoferi owners comment what size they max out at.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I had four of them. They grew incredibly, and were beautiful. And very aggressive.

They were between fifteen and eighteen inches when I gave them away - which was not easy - no one wanted them.

I believe they had not finished growing.

If it is relevant, they water temperature was pretty warm.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
I had four of them. They grew incredibly, and were beautiful. And very aggressive.

They were between fifteen and eighteen inches when I gave them away - which was not easy - no one wanted them.

I believe they had not finished growing.

If it is relevant, they water temperature was pretty warm.
All 4 of them? Wow very impressive.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
from 2" to 14" in 2.5 years, 4 fish:

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Yeah they’re very fast growers, only my Oscar matched her in growth rate. How big is it right now?
i got mine at a size of about 1.5 inches and within three months its pushing 5 inches

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store