Hoplias ID

newyorkmfk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
Not my pic but there is a group of these for sale. Can someone please ID…

1716258640269.jpeg1716258640269.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Lacardae or intermedius.

newyorkmfk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
Lacardae or intermedius.
There was a lot of these in a big group for sale. Probably at least 20 of them. I also saw somewhere that someone said these were being farmed in South America. I’m not sure if that helps? Could it be possible for Lacardae to be available in large quantities like that? And also, could it be possible if they are farmed? My opinion was that in such a large group that they most likely would not be LAC because they were more rare, I thought.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
There was a lot of these in a big group for sale. Probably at least 20 of them. I also saw somewhere that someone said these were being farmed in South America. I’m not sure if that helps? Could it be possible for Lacardae to be available in large quantities like that? And also, could it be possible if they are farmed? My opinion was that in such a large group that they most likely would not be LAC because they were more rare, I thought.
I’m not sure based on that info. I wouldn’t be surprised if being farmed. Definitely not often seen but these are not mala. If you can count pores on up close pics that can help to tell the difference. I’ve not seen juvi intermedius but one pic on the internet looks like these fish. But either way these aren’t often seen and it’ll be a nice grow out of lacardae or intermedius.

newyorkmfk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
I’m not sure based on that info. I wouldn’t be surprised if being farmed. Definitely not often seen but these are not mala. If you can count pores on up close pics that can help to tell the difference. I’ve not seen juvi intermedius but one pic on the internet looks like these fish. But either way these aren’t often seen and it’ll be a nice grow out of lacardae or intermedius.
thanks for the info. I’ve been trying to get a Lac. Either way I think I’m going to grab one to grow out.

Reactions: kno4te

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
I talked to 2 friends who have kept various wolffish species. They said these are likely juvie malabaricus but they are a bit small to say 100%. But like you said looked like too many of them to be lacerdae when considering how rare they are. I've been trying to find one for myself.

Reactions: HumanBean

HumanBean

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Would be really interesting to know if they are being farmed. I mean there are fish which are easy to breed but then we have like bichirs/odoes/hoplias/ etc which we do see in bulk for sale but are they really being bred in mass operation a d how ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store