Hoplias ID

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would be really interesting to know if they are being farmed. I mean there are fish which are easy to breed but then we have like bichirs/odoes/hoplias/ etc which we do see in bulk for sale but are they really being bred in mass operation a d how ?
There’s a guy ive seen on IG with name Fabio_marino I believe. He’s speaking Brazilian language. He posts what looks like ponds with wolf fish. They look like australis but can’t be sure. Just saying.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I talked to 2 friends who have kept various wolffish species. They said these are likely juvie malabaricus but they are a bit small to say 100%. But like you said looked like too many of them to be lacerdae when considering how rare they are. I've been trying to find one for myself.
If the folds stay remain is like that then it’s not mala. Pattern is off too. Just IMO. Old pic from prior posts of malas that have been discussed but can see the difference in the folds. Larger wolf but will see how newyorkmfk’s fish looks on grow out IMG_0819.jpeg

Reactions: Hao

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
There was a lot of these in a big group for sale. Probably at least 20 of them. I also saw somewhere that someone said these were being farmed in South America. I’m not sure if that helps? Could it be possible for Lacardae to be available in large quantities like that? And also, could it be possible if they are farmed? My opinion was that in such a large group that they most likely would not be LAC because they were more rare, I thought.
What were they being sold as? Who is selling them if you don’t mind sharing?

newyorkmfk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
What were they being sold as? Who is selling them if you don’t mind sharing?
predatory fins selling as “blue aimara”. And another vendor i saw was advertising his as LAC and said that they are farmed. Lead me to believe they could be from the same source since predatory fins had them in large quantity and other vendor saying they are farmed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store