Birding!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I think this is a trick that gulls have learned, especially in high tourist volume settings. At Disney World, my daughter was a victim. We had purchased our meal and settled in at an outside table when the gulls came swooping in. They would unload on the diners, then when the people jumped up and scattered with shrieks and screams, the gulls would do a quick aerial U-turn and dive in amidst the confusion to grab your food. Made me mad as can be, given the high price of food at amusement parks, but I had to admire their ingenuity and boldness.
Oh yes, they're cunning indeed. I don't believe that gulls have heard of the term "bird brained', because stupid, they are certainly not.

For cunning and deception, in my opinion, they're on a par with those legendary monkeys in Gibraltar when it comes to scamming innocent passers by for food, lol.

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
Oh yes, they're cunning indeed. I don't believe that gulls have heard of the term "bird brained', because stupid, they are certainly not.

For cunning and deception, in my opinion, they're on a par with those legendary monkeys in Gibraltar when it comes to scamming innocent passers by for food, lol.
You can find plenty of examples, like this one...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You can find plenty of examples, like this one...
That was cute,until the person with red umbrella showed and tried to intervene,as if someone is going to want that baloney sandwich after the gull has pecked at and rolled it across the floor!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
That was cute,until the person with red umbrella showed and tried to intervene,as if someone is going to want that baloney sandwich after the gull has pecked at and rolled it across the floor!
I'll never look at a sea gull the same again.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'll never look at a sea gull the same again.
.....ever been to Atlantic City?...eat out on the boardwalk at your own risk as the sea gulls will swoop down and snatch your food right off if your plate or even right from your hands!

• Wow

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I was outside last night a bit after midnight, taking Duke out for his pre-bedtime pee, and I was struck by the wonderful nighttime sounds of birds and frogs. Duke and I frequently go for walks down the road in the wee hours if the moon is close to full; now that it's at the opposite end of its cycle it's too dark for walking but just standing in the yard and listening is delightful.

I could hear simultaneously a pair of Great Horned Owls in the woods, a Saw-Whet Owl in the pasture next to the house, several Snipe winnowing overhead, Woodcocks "peenting" in the meadow, a Sora (sounds like its trying to start a stubborn lawnmower engine), and at least two Yellow Rails clicking; the last two species vary in abundance from year to year depending upon how wet the meadow is. There are also still four species of frogs calling at this time of year, although they are winding down a bit; a few weeks ago when they were in full song, they would drown out most of the bird calls with their astonishing volume.

At that point, a pack of Coyotes started to sound off in the adjacent pasture. Duke immediately bristled, checked to make sure I was still with him...he's no dummy!...and started barking furiously. The songdogs immediately sounded as though they began to move closer; domestic dogs and cats form a significant part of their diet. I threw my head back and joined the chorus: "Keep moving, a-holes! Nuthin' to see here!"

Everything fell silent except for the frogs. I had broken the spell, so I stepped back towards the house and Duke practically bowled me over as he charged back to the door. No way he intended to stay outside when his cousins were nearby. :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I was outside last night a bit after midnight, taking Duke out for his pre-bedtime pee, and I was struck by the wonderful nighttime sounds of birds and frogs. Duke and I frequently go for walks down the road in the wee hours if the moon is close to full; now that it's at the opposite end of its cycle it's too dark for walking but just standing in the yard and listening is delightful.

I could hear simultaneously a pair of Great Horned Owls in the woods, a Saw-Whet Owl in the pasture next to the house, several Snipe winnowing overhead, Woodcocks "peenting" in the meadow, a Sora (sounds like its trying to start a stubborn lawnmower engine), and at least two Yellow Rails clicking; the last two species vary in abundance from year to year depending upon how wet the meadow is. There are also still four species of frogs calling at this time of year, although they are winding down a bit; a few weeks ago when they were in full song, they would drown out most of the bird calls with their astonishing volume.

At that point, a pack of Coyotes started to sound off in the adjacent pasture. Duke immediately bristled, checked to make sure I was still with him...he's no dummy!...and started barking furiously. The songdogs immediately sounded as though they began to move closer; domestic dogs and cats form a significant part of their diet. I threw my head back and joined the chorus: "Keep moving, a-holes! Nuthin' to see here!"

Everything fell silent except for the frogs. I had broken the spell, so I stepped back towards the house and Duke practically bowled me over as he charged back to the door. No way he intended to stay outside when his cousins were nearby. :)
Yeah I learned how coyotes and wolves bait and ambush dogs.

Reactions: jjohnwm

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
.....ever been to Atlantic City?...eat out on the boardwalk at your own risk as the sea gulls will swoop down and snatch your food right off if your plate or even right from your hands!
This. My cousin had one swipe a burger after he ate some and put it on his plate to sip his soda!

1717886529872.png

• Wow

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
One night was on the computer at home probably 18 yrs ago heard a load Hoot Hoot I'm assuming that was a great horned owl. It made me nervous so I closed the window.🤣

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store