Used Acrylic tank bubbling...please help

onsloth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2024
Using around 75-100ml per seam u should have enough to do the whole tank with 1 pint kit. If you up it to 200ml per seam ud need 2 pints for the whole tank. In the bigger picture of $80 and some time its well worth it to never worry again. I have one tank i did every seam but the top. It bothers me every time i look at it and i wish i did the whole thing. Ive looked at it for 10yrs now and i regret it every day 😂.

At the least i would get 1 pint for $35-40 and do every seam where there are bubbles. The tank is showing signs of stress/age, y not make the seams new again. Thats just me personally tho. Much easier to do it now then tear down and do it again after its full of water/fish.
Thank you again.
You're right. I'm the type to freak out lol.
The bottom seems have nothing wrong with them. But yeah.
Going to have to figure out my ratios again because I can only do one seam per day. I don't want it drying out.
Unless it dries in 2-3 to move on to the next seam.

Last edited:

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thank you again.
You're right. I'm the type to freak out lol.
The bottom seems have nothing wrong with them. But yeah.
Going to have to figure out my ratios again because I can only do one seam per day. I don't want it drying out.
Unless it dries in 2-3 to move on to the next seam.
40 has a pretty good shelf life. Theres not much rush after u open it.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Even when mixed?
Or just separate.

If not when mixed I guess I need to make enough for each seam right before I use it?
correct each part by itself has a good shelf life… once u mix it, u have around 10 minutes to lay it down before it starts getting hot and curing. For a 180 6’ tank u should need 100-200ml per long seam. 50- 100ml per short/upright seam. Start on the upper back maybe to get a feel for it. If something goes wrong its not right up in front. I do pretty heavy pours, thats just me. 50ml for ur shorts and 100ml for ur longer seams should be perfect.

onsloth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2024
correct each part by itself has a good shelf life… once u mix it, u have around 10 minutes to lay it down before it starts getting hot and curing. For a 180 6’ tank u should need 100-200ml per long seam. 50- 100ml per short/upright seam. Start on the upper back maybe to get a feel for it. If something goes wrong its not right up in front. I do pretty heavy pours, thats just me. 50ml for ur shorts and 100ml for ur longer seams should be perfect.
I did the first back seam. Awesome!
Five hours later no smell or anything and went perfect.
I saw elsewhere you suggested one seam per day to help with crazing due to heat?
Lol I so badly wanna do a front seam so badly today. What's the harm in your experience?
Again thank you so so much.
You're listed on every forum as the guy to talk to so I feel honored that you spent so much time helping me

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I did the first back seam. Awesome!
Five hours later no smell or anything and went perfect.
I saw elsewhere you suggested one seam per day to help with crazing due to heat?
Lol I so badly wanna do a front seam so badly today. What's the harm in your experience?
Again thank you so so much.
You're listed on every forum as the guy to talk to so I feel honored that you spent so much time helping me
Glad to hear the first pour went well 💀🤙… if your smart about it and jump end to end or front to back you can do a seam every few hrs no problem. All depends on each tanks age, thickness of acrylic and the temp in ur area. If you dont see any crazing on what you did today, just stick to the program of what u did before and continue. Its “safe” to move the tank around after an hour, glue sets up pretty quick so bo worry there. You can feel the tank for heat and decide how soon u can move onto the next seam.

onsloth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2024
Glad to hear the first pour went well 💀🤙… if your smart about it and jump end to end or front to back you can do a seam every few hrs no problem. All depends on each tanks age, thickness of acrylic and the temp in ur area. If you dont see any crazing on what you did today, just stick to the program of what u did before and continue. Its “safe” to move the tank around after an hour, glue sets up pretty quick so bo worry there. You can feel the tank for heat and decide how soon u can move onto the next seam.
Unfortunately two pours didn't go well.
This back seam side crazed. I didn't have the fan on it this time. Is this tank ruined now?
Two parts look this way.
That drip Mark and other bead are from previous owner

IMG_20240618_195206222.jpg

Last edited:

onsloth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2024
Obviously I'm using a flash light directly on it to show it in detail.
I'm so upset about this

onsloth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2024
Idk how it crazed so badly just for not having a fan on it. 50ml on that 24 inch side.
I got impatient and did a pour on opposite end an hour after the first without the fan.
:( damn it.

Screenshot_20240618-205616.png

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Idk how it crazed so badly just for not having a fan on it. 50ml on that 24 inch side.
I got impatient and did a pour on opposite end an hour after the first without the fan.
:( damn it.

View attachment 1544186
Dont beat urself up man… nature of the beast here. The older the acrylic the more it crazes. After using 40, tank mfg. put the tanks in an oven to anneal them to stop the crazing. Its just cosmetic. It in no way affects the integrity of the tank. Ur seams are super solid now despite the crazing. Im surprised with only 50ml on the seams. I have a few here that look the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store