What's the most foul tempered fish you've ever had?

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Here's Patch the ultimate alpha female. Lost her to ovarian cancer. She had a will to live that defied description and had incredible personality. She took over the 225 and set up shop dead center along the back wall. Any fish that swam past her area got attacked. Shortly afterwards I moved her to her own tank. She also kept a nuchal hump.

p2.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Here's Kong, my other alpha female parrot. She is always in attack mode with fins up. Second only to Patch in aggression and had her face torn open by the pink terror. Remarkably she healed up with no visible damage to this day. She was nuts about Patch, though. I couldn't do anything to Patch's tank without Kong getting worked up and ramming the glass. I often had to cover Kong's tank with a towel if I did a w/c for Patch. When Patch was gone she refused to swim near Patch's tank for a week. Housed with one of my hyper aggressive female hrps Speck. The two are a match but Kong has the size and hardware advantage.

Both Kong and Patch beat up a young Brick.

k2.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Here's the kook, hrp Mongo. His aggression level never changes no matter the circumstance. He randomly goes into attack mode and chases with no rhyme or reason. Fights for fcs sake and nothing else. He's an ambush style fighter...he'll hide in plants, burst out and attack. This screwball often clears an area of the tank with his crazy behavior. Doesn't do much damage for all his antics. He's gotten beaten up for annoying the others and forced into hiding for days. The minute he's better he goes right back to fighting. I think he's got a wire loose in his head.

m2.jpg

AnomalocarisAquatics

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2024
That title would go to my old GT cichlid, Eleanor Rigby.

I had that GT in a pond and I wanted to find tankmates for it, so I went to my local food market and bought a live Mozambique Tilapia. The tilapia was about 2 times larger than the GT, so I thought it was fine. Not even 2 hours later, I had to evacuate the tilapia because my GT had already got to work bullying it. After that, I was very careful choosing tankmates, also the process I introduced them. One day, I decided on a jag cichlid that was about 4 inches larger. I made sure that the GT wouldn't try anything, yet it did. For about 3 days straight, he would non-stop bully the jag, but left no physical damages, hence why I didn't evacuate the jag. After about a week, everything was fine. Eleanor Rigby died of an unknown disease. At the time, I didn't know how to treat the disease, nor what it even was, because I didn't have the knowledge. The jag is still alive to this day.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Special mention goes to my blue severum Chip. As a juvie he was pretty calm and got along with his tankmates. Once he hit the teen into adult window he was impossible to deal with. The most frustrating fish I ever had, he spent 80% recovering from injuries. He fought and harassed tankmates and came out on the losing end most of the time. He never learned, just went back for more punishment. Even my mild tempered chocolate Bobo tagged him. It was war with the parrot Boss. Chip's final mistake was nipping at my oscar, Brick. Brick ended it by biting his head and Chip died from trauma shock and severe injury/infections.

Never thought I'd say this, but he was the only 'dumb' cichlid I had. No personality at all other than being a nuisance. No interaction even with other fish.

Chip bulk.jpg

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have a feeling that the more we force our animals, into deformed, main made, srains and configurations,
the more we will force them into unnatural and abberrent behaviors .
All FHs, and blood parrots , with there unnatural misplaced organ formations....... well inentioned or not,
without requard to consquenses are feeding these fake aggression trends, but
the more we disreqard how many cichlids existst in nature, the more our tank balences also get precarious.
In many cases, New World cichlids don't share habitat with other cichlids, for miles.
In certain New World rivers, where I collect, I am lucky to find more than two species, in a 5 mile long stretch .
423f6650-1c07-4148-a2fa-8b2446d3b860.jpeg

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
lol, I was wondering when Duane would have a hybrid meltdown.

Btw amigo, I think that forcing fish into a glass box, cichlids & hybrid cichlids alike, is what brings out the aggression. Not misplaced organ formations.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
lol, I was wondering when Duane would have a hybrid meltdown.

Btw amigo, I think that forcing fish into a glass box, cichlids & hybrid cichlids alike, is what brings out the aggression. Not misplaced organ formations.
I have to agree.

Reactions: RD. and FINWIN

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Ya I wasn't connecting the dots at all that...with one exception I've had more overall health issues with the un hybridized fish. Just sayin'. It's not a parrot thread, just my most aggressive fish list.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store