How to make my red dovii feel more comfortable?

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Yeah I guess you just have to let him get used to your presence then and take it one day at a time, but since it’s been a couple months and nothing has really changed then maybe he’s just a shy guy. Who knows though, he might start gaining attitude and confidence when he surpasses the 15 inch mark.
I’m sure it’s just a time thing , my last dovii only started to get active and not shy around 14 inches and I had him from 1 inch lol there honestly big babies I wish they had more the personality of a Jaguar cichlid

Reactions: Cichlids-r-beasts

Cichlids-r-beasts

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
I’m sure it’s just a time thing , my last dovii only started to get active and not shy around 14 inches and I had him from 1 inch lol there honestly big babies I wish they had more the personality of a Jaguar cichlid
Yeah from all the stuff I’ve seen, I think they’re more “fish aggressive” than “human aggressive” at these sizes. Once they start getting into the 14-18 inch range then their true glass banging personality comes out I guess. It doesn’t help that they get so large so it takes a while for them to mature and lose that shyness, as compared to a Jag or an Amph.

Reactions: anzo1993

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Yeah from all the stuff I’ve seen, I think they’re more “fish aggressive” than “human aggressive” at these sizes. Once they start getting into the 14-18 inch range then their true glass banging personality comes out I guess. It doesn’t help that they get so large so it takes a while for them to mature and lose that shyness, as compared to a Jag or an Amph.
Yeah exactly just cause they take longer to mature maybe

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Just an update, he’s much more confident these days comes right out to see me sometimes while I’m in the room , not a glass banger yet but hopefully with time lol i feel bad I can’t upgrade him to a bigger tank yet tho he’s looking quite large for the 120 gallon

IMG_3840.jpeg

IMG_3839.jpeg

troublesum

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
That is a good looking red dovii from my experience dovii from 1in to about 12-14in are scaredy cats always hiding then after about 2 years or that 14in mark then they become the a-hole fish

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
That is a good looking red dovii from my experience dovii from 1in to about 12-14in are scaredy cats always hiding then after about 2 years or that 14in mark then they become the a-hole fish
Really hoping that’s the case with him

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Really depends on the fish…I've had them at 4” swimming all over and fish over 12” that were skittish, adding other fish or hiding spots can also help

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Very nice fish! One tip, I find that plants (usually fake ones for ca cichlids) in the upper reaches of the tank really go a long way to making most fish feel secure. Dovii especially, the main predator are birds, so especially when not fully grown, they don't like open spaces much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store