Eddie the Eagle

IgnatzMcJockel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
This is Eddie. Eddie the eagle.
IMG_20240626_103215.jpg
It's my first snakehead (channa coccinea sp. ignis) and after the first few days i'm a realy big fan.
At the second day after i got him, i fed him a wax moth with tweezers. I din't even get near to the surface, eddie jumpt out of the water and snapped it of the tweezers. That was the point when he got his name.
The next day it was the same thing again, so i already thought this could get dangerous.
Today i wanted to do take risc and feed some pellets. I helt my hand emediatly short above the surface and dropped the pellets. Eddie wasn't patient enough and tried to catch them out of the air.
He took to much speed and jumped in a low angle out of the tank, crash into the shelf on the wall next to the tank and fell to the groud.
This was a big shock. First i thought he couldn't survive this, but the he started "walking", like a mudskipper or polyperus, across the floor. I put him back in the tank as fast as i could.
After a 5 minute break, he swam around like nothing happened.
IMG_20240628_090225.jpg
I DON'T WANT THIS TO HAPPEN AGAIN!!!
There is no guaranty, that this find a good end the next time and i really like this fish.

Do you have any ideas, ho i can improve my setup or feeding process to avoid eddie from jumping during feeding?
I want to feed my fish in the water and not in the air.

Flaring Afro

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2016
Bulk Reef Supply has clear mesh kits for rimmed and rimless aquariums. Not sure if you can find it cheaper elsewhere. Also I don't know if it's a permanent solution. They can probably take an occasional tang jumping up but it may not be designed for an adult snakehead constantly launching.

Reactions: IgnatzMcJockel

IgnatzMcJockel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Bulk Reef Supply has clear mesh kits for rimmed and rimless aquariums. Not sure if you can find it cheaper elsewhere. Also I don't know if it's a permanent solution. They can probably take an occasional tang jumping up but it may not be designed for an adult snakehead constantly launching.

Good suggestion!
This is not 100% what i'm searching for, because the Tank already has a lid.
I only need a solution during feeding.
But you gave me a good idea.
I keep this thread updated.

IgnatzMcJockel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Drop a few pellets in one corner to distract him and proceed to offer the the wax moth or whatever in another under water.
I tried this today. When i drop a few sticks and reach with my hand for something new, he lets the sticks be and watches what my hand is doing.
Seems like he knows, that he also cant eat the sticks later on. Very smart fish^^

Reactions: RyanScanner

Flaring Afro

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2016
Good suggestion!
This is not 100% what i'm searching for, because the Tank already has a lid.
I only need a solution during feeding.
But you gave me a good idea.
I keep this thread updated.
Oh that makes sense. I wouldn't think you'd be able to get away with a snakehead in a topless tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store