I want to buy parrot chilchid

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
Hi guys,

I have never had chilchids

I saw parrot chichids in the shop and liked them very much. I don’t know if they are naturally like that or genetically modified. But they look cool.
I have experience only wiht puffer fish and guppies and have not had any other kind .

any one can tell me if these chilchids are good? Do they have teeth beak like the puffers?
☺

Reactions: tlindsey

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Hi guys,

I have never had chilchids

I saw parrot chichids in the shop and liked them very much. I don’t know if they are naturally like that or genetically modified. But they look cool.
I have experience only wiht puffer fish and guppies and have not had any other kind .

any one can tell me if these chilchids are good? Do they have teeth beak like the puffers?
☺
Hi

Are you talking about blood parrot cichlids or the 'real' parrot cichlids? Two entirely diff fish.

1720099100587.png
parrot fish

1720099206379.png
blood parrot cichlid

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
If you are talking about blood parrots, here's the quick lowdown:

They're a hybrid of various Central American cichlids (Vieja-redhead, midas, red devil) because of the combinations their appearance can be variable

Colors: Pink, yellow, tiger, blood red, bright orange. Tiger variants can have orange or yellow background.

Temps 78-84 degrees. Neutral to higher ph

size: 6-10 inches

Will change color based on hormones, mood or environment. females often change color before and after laying eggs

Some have a fixed mouth, some can move mouth. Some have teeth, some not. Good pellet size for most adults 2mm-3mm depending on mouth size. Juvies 1mm.

High personality and entertaining fish. Very intelligent also. Playful. Mine like toy balls and marbles to push around.

Tank size: 2 in a 55, 3 in a 75, 4-5 in a 125. a single can work in 2 40 breeder with other small fish.

Temperament: Can be cream puffs, a-holes or anything in-between. Will get more territorial as they age.

workable tankmates: Oscars, rainbow cichlids, sajica, convict, hrp types. Barbs and tetras.

hope this info helps.

(if an Oscar tankmate, a min 125 tank is needed)

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hi

Are you talking about blood parrot cichlids or the 'real' parrot cichlids? Two entirely diff fish.

View attachment 1545016
parrot fish

View attachment 1545017
blood parrot cichlid
Just to add, this is the true parrot cichlid, hoplarchus psittacus:
1720101544217.jpeg

To the OP, I’m going to assume you are talking about the blood parrot cichlid. They do not have beaks like a puffer does, but instead get their name because their face looks like a parrot’s:
IMG_7533.jpeg
IMG_0053.jpeg
I had one in the past, great fish with a great personality, but I don’t think I’d ever do another one. My opinion on them is the same as my opinion on bulldogs, I genuinely feel bad for them. Generations of inbreeding has led to an animal loaded with health problems.
I don’t think I would ever put one in less than a 4 foot tank. They can get quite active and need good cruising room. I also wouldn’t mix with anything small enough to be food. Blood parrots are not nearly as aggressive as other cichlids, and typically lack the machinery to do any real damage, but they still are a risk to small tankmates.
As a whole, I don’t advise mixing puffers with cichlids. Both are bound to get aggressive with tankmates, and both are the ideal target for the other. Puffers are slow moving with no sense of boundaries, and cichlids have nice long fins and are a big target. Both can do a lot of damage to the other, and if a cichlid eats a puffer, it’s the end for both.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
With one exception my blood parrots have had no health issues at all. They range in age from 5-6 yrs currently. I currently have three...the one in my avatar is Boss. Mine range in size from ~8", 8" and ~9" in size.

Reactions: RD.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
BPs are sometimes so genetically modified mutants, to the point that their organs and jaws are crammed into areas, much like some of the distorted balloon goldfish varients, of the past, regardless of what's good for their health.
They are distortions that were once thought of as culls and detrimental to the well being of any healthy species.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
To the OP, I actually have an x-ray of a parrot I lost due to ovarian cancer. (a cyst attached to her ovary) Her organs were properly placed and she had a straight spine. I discovered the roundness people see is actually their ribcage. But it's your decision either way. Health factors for fish can be a complex deal...90% of my losses and health issues have been from non-hybrids for various reasons.

I don't promote or discourage any particular fish, just relay my own personal experiences. Have fun either way!

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
He has congo puffers and they’re pretty easy going. I’ve kept large groups of them with all sorts of fish with no issues ever. Not sure how the blood parrot would treat the puffers but sounds risky.

Hopefully, he’s planning a separate tank for the blood parrots

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store