Bichir on white sand

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
Now, I know that a vast majority of bichirs wash out when kept in white sand which is why bichir keepers often use a mix or darker colored sand for maximum shading and darkening. I on the other hand have a white sanded 250g tank and don’t plan on changing it. I was wondering if anyone knew what types of bichir look good or don’t wash out as much on white sand. I currently keep a delhezi and a lapradei and am thinking about weeksii, no idea if weeksii wash out though. Any other bichir species recommendations are welcome

Reactions: tlindsey

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Any bichir species could potentially look good on white sand. It really comes down to preference. You have to ask yourself what do you look for in a bichir? Do you look for head shape? body shape? color? pattern? combo of things? I assume you are looking for something that'll show pattern on white sand. The key is finding one that is naturally darker (hopefully will retain some color/pattern) to keep on your white sand. Personally, I have kept several bichirs on white/bare. Most of them obviously washed out but I didn't mind it because I love how they look (their shape is highlighted due to the lack of color/pattern). Of course, some of them were naturally darker so they retained some color/pattern.
Here are some of my old fish kept on white/light colored bottom.

IMG_9385.jpeg

IMG_9386.jpeg

IMG_9387.jpeg

IMG_9388.jpeg

IMG_9389.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store