Fenestrata or something else

affena

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2021
I bought this as a Fenestrata(about 3 inches) but I'm not sure if it's one. I have tried to find pictures of juvenile Fenestrata but haven't found anything like this. Can someone tell is it Fenestrata or something else?
Kuvankaappaus 2024-07-06 kello 10.09.33 ap..png

Reactions: tlindsey

affena

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2021
No, it doesn't seem to be stressed, it is very curious about everything and not scary at all, takes food from surface with good appetite.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The scientific name "fenesrata" refers to prominent verticle bands, .......but there are location varients with less dramatic bands and colors, top that off with the varients fro Lake Catamaco that have more mottled colors, and are similar to color varients of Amphilphus of the Nicaraguan lakes..

About 30 years ago I had the vairient that looked similar to the OPs first pic.

These days with all the amateur inter breeding, and induced Asian color varients its very hard to tell what are real, or just inter Vieja crossed mutts.

Reactions: affena

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Looks "Vieja" for sure (or the other genus many have been split into no...Paratheraps, Maskaheros, etc). Does not look pure fenestratus IMO. I'm having trouble seeing any fen in that fish, actually.

With all that blue/green, giving me zonatus vibes. And of course, some sort of mix is highly possible.

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Looks "Vieja" for sure (or the other genus many have been split into no...Paratheraps, Maskaheros, etc). Does not look pure fenestratus IMO. I'm having trouble seeing any fen in that fish, actually.

With all that blue/green, giving me zonatus vibes. And of course, some sort of mix is highly possible.
Paratheraps is not a valid genus name.
The OP’s fish has some vague signs which are reminiscent of fenestrata (vague beginning of 4 vertical bars below the dorsal, blue markings under the eye, etc)

It is not a zonata either. Possibly a fenestrata x zonata, or another mix. A hybrid for sure though.

Juvenile zonata pair from up Coatzacoalcos (male first pic, female second)
IMG_7672.jpegIMG_7668.jpeg

Subadult male below
IMG_9424.jpeg

Done45

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
United States
Hard to say if you don’t know the known origin of the fish. Being there so many variants. This is my female F1 fenestrata IMG_4999.png

Reactions: affena

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
There are two species, V guttulata and V fenestrata that are often confused.
To me, in the ones in Stiker's photos appear to be V guttlata, ay least as reference by the photo in Wolfgang Staeck's book Americag Cchlids Large, and the plate provided on the Cichlid Room Compainon site.

And they look vastly differentbthan the wild caught versions I had in the late 80s, that were very red in color.

Reactions: Done45

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Just because (and I include my self here as well) you or I buy a fish with a "certain name," from a LFS, does not mean that is what it is,...
most are not even close.

Geos, I'll bet at least 50% are miss IDed, .....Parachromis, or Veija at least 80% bogus probably mixed blood hybrids, etc etc
In fact, as a rule, I consider most cichlids bought at LFSs as these days as bogus, especially with everybody and there third cousin proudly producing ilegitimate hybid mutts.

Reactions: Done45
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store