Fenestrata or something else

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Just because (and I include my self here as well) you or I buy a fish with a "certain name," from a LFS, does not mean that is what it is,...
most are not even close.

Geos, I'll bet at least 50% are miss IDed, .....Parachromis, or Veija at least 80% bogus probably mixed blood hybrids, etc etc
In fact, as a rule, I consider most cichlids bought at LFSs as these days as bogus, especially with everybody and there third cousin proudly producing ilegitimate hybid mutts.
Duane so if I buy a bifasciatum from a shop it might be a hybrid???

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Duane so if I buy a bifasciatum from a shop it might be a hybrid??? It’s too bad with a lot of these fish with people breeding and passing off fish as that fish..and the junk coming out of Asia it’s really tough to get the real deal. Last time I knew I saw guttalutus was on a stringer in El Salvador..

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
View attachment 1545440
Few days ago stripes came out
My guess is also guttalatum. I had a very similar looking one years back- the red fins and electric blue on the body was very similar. Really cool species. The only thing that doesn't match up is the stripes, mine never had that much striping. could be related to stress etc though.
I don't have any more pics saved as this was over 10 years ago, but if you look at this thread you can see the guttalatum when it was a similar size

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store