Mar 13, 2021
Somewhere in the States
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
hey everyone!

I have a sick, Bristlenose pleco (Homework) in my 125 freshwater aquarium. Homework is not eating much and has a weird patch of somethin' or other on him. The tank parameters are 0=ammonia, 0=nitrites, and 20=nitrates; the tank has been set up for about 17 years. He's in there with African & Central American cichlids who are all sub-adults at this point, except for the Jaguar cichlid who is a juvenile. The temp. of the water is 76 degreees, there are no live plants, and I run a Fluval FX5 that gets cleaned 2X/year. The tank receives no direct sunlight; I perform water changes 1X/week just about religiously. The fish are fed NLS, spriulina, frozen bloodworms & beefheart, and occasionally feeders.

I did have a issue with velvet on the fish here recently, and I treated with Pimafix for a week; it cleared up. The pleco"s condition, however, improved but did not heal all the way. I've noticed that he hides and is not eating as much...

Could someone please help me as to what my next steps should be to get the lil' guy feeling better? Thank you.

IMG_2157.jpg

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could be just stressed from the pimafix and/or recent infection. I’d try soaking the food in some garlic and refeed. If not better in a week then try dosing metronidazole to the tank. Any change in the color if its poop?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store