Gar injury prevention

Jimmyk

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
I have been reading through stickies regarding this topic, but I'm interested to see what else to consider and whether there are new improved ways of preventing gars from injuring themselves in order to keep their spine and snout healthy. Thank you! Some things I have read so far:
  • small gars in small tanks then step up size of tank gradually
  • black out back and sides of tank
  • use plants to create barriers and break up the tank
  • keep with suitable tank mates that won't spook or bully gars
  • approach tank slowly
  • Turn on lights slowly

CatfishEnjoyer313

Feeder Fish
Feb 16, 2024
Michigan
A backdrop with texture can be more beneficial than a blacked out tank in most cases because they can perceive their distance to the walls much easier, and incorporating lots of plants like you mentioned helps too. I like to make sure mine sees me approaching the tank slowly so I don't surprise it. Everything you mentioned seems like good practice, but if you can get a timed light that turns on gradually I would highly recommend one.

Reactions: Jimmyk and tlindsey

Jimmyk

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
A backdrop with texture can be more beneficial than a blacked out tank in most cases because they can perceive their distance to the walls much easier, and incorporating lots of plants like you mentioned helps too. I like to make sure mine sees me approaching the tank slowly so I don't surprise it. Everything you mentioned seems like good practice, but if you can get a timed light that turns on gradually I would highly recommend one.
Thank you for sharing. Do you mean a 3D background inside the tank or something outside the tank that’s not just black?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store