Attempting to keep a Mottled Sculpin

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
Earlier today I was netting at a nearby creek when I somewhat unexpectedly caught a Mottled Sculpin. I was debating on letting it go but decided to try keeping it. No chiller and not the best amount of aeration. I’ll keep you posted.

IMG_8267.jpeg

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
As of this morning (around 7:00-7:30 a.m. Eastern time) the Sculpin has been doing ok.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I've kept them, they are pretty tough, they tend to swallow small tank mates, lol I liked them with madtoms, log perch, and large minnows.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
I've kept them, they are pretty tough, they tend to swallow small tank mates, lol I liked them with madtoms, log perch, and large minnows.
As much as I love my Darters there are a lot so I don’t really mind if he picks some off.

Reactions: Moontanman

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
Mottled Sculpin attempt two. I caught my second one ever unexpectedly a few days ago. I put him into my 55 gallon, for now at least, and he is doing good. I brought him home Wednesday of this past week and since then I spot fed him (or her) earthworms twice. One of those days was today, and both times the Sculpin ate the worm. My 55 Gallon is well oxygenated and there’s plenty of spots for him to hide. Once I resolve and issue in my 20 gallon (anchor worms) I’ll had him into the tank (potentially), as well as adding back my Stonecat Madtom, Rainbow Shiner, and Glass Catfish into the 20 Gallon.

IMG_6221.jpeg

Reactions: phreeflow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store