Quick sand question

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Iff you're into color sand mixes, another alternative is Sandtastik, a Canadian company. They have a website with 30+ colors of sand. There are two grades of sand...the "classic" which is fine, and "floral" which is very coarse.

You would want the floral sand. It's heavy and has wide space between the grains. Because of this you won't need as much. My 6ft 225 only needed 80 lbs for about a 1+" layer. I had plenty leftover for other tanks. I don't even wash the stuff, just dump it in and stir. It's got texture like sugar crystals. Have it in all my tanks and no problem with the hobs at all.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Iff you're into color sand mixes, another alternative is Sandtastik, a Canadian company. They have a website with 30+ colors of sand. There are two grades of sand...the "classic" which is fine, and "floral" which is very coarse.

You would want the floral sand. It's heavy and has wide space between the grains. Because of this you won't need as much. My 6ft 225 only needed 80 lbs for about a 1+" layer. I had plenty leftover for other tanks. I don't even wash the stuff, just dump it in and stir. It's got texture like sugar crystals. Have it in all my tanks and no problem with the hobs at all.
+1
I’ve purchased from them per FINWIN’s recommendation. Never had any issues with it getting stirred up into the water column. I used it to mix some darker tones of brown into normal pfs.

Reactions: phreeflow

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I read somewhere on here someone used garnet sand and all there corydoras died as its very abrasive and somehow shaved off their whiskers so something to keep in mind if you have cories.

When i first read the title i was hoping you werent slowly sinking into a pit of quicksand and were asking us how to escape......

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Can you post some pics mate?
Yep...but apparently not very quickly...:)

This sample is from the darker grey/black of the two bags I bought. Ruler is marked in inches. I will eventually try a tank using just this garnet rather than mixing it into pool filter sand.
garnet1.jpggarnet2.jpg

Trouser Cough

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
C'est la vie to vacuuming that substrate.

I've tried the finer sands down to silica sized and after having tried it for a year or so decided to pitch it and use a larger grain, currently Peace River from CaribSea. The issue I had w/ the smaller grain was that it would occasionally get kicked up by a fish and pulled into a filter. I use FX6's and the finer grains would chew up filter impellers which eventually made the choice to have gone w/ a fine grain substrate seem more expensive than it had been worth.

Had I been running a sump or a filter that didn't pull quite as hard as an FX6 I may have kept the fine stuff longer.

Note that the finer the sand used the more important it will be that you cover your nose and mouth w/ a painter's mask as you want to avoid inhaling the dust from fine sands.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store