Retiring to where the wild fish are...

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My aim had been for years, to end up moving to a place where endemic cichlids live.
After the travels I could afford, from Mexico, to Costa Rica to Colombia, Panama was settled on.
I also considered Madagacar and Uruguay, but Panama seamed most reasonable and accessble for my situation,
Everything from politics, to access to health care, language, currency and ability to scope things out ahead of time, all came into play.

Once moved in, things moved along much more slowly than I had originally planned at first.
Acquiring reasonable tank sizes for the fish I wanted, within, my retirement income base went at a snails pace,
Getting a tank, and moving it to my residence were all minor hurdles
IMG_1793.jpegIMG_4857.jpeg
Even acquiring the target fish was not as easy as I anticipated., because non-native fish are illegal to sell here.
Aquatic plants have been easier.
Lake Gatun is full of natural and feral aquatic species.
IMG_2230.jpegIMG_2275.jpegIMG_2252.jpeg
Collecting fish myself has been the most reliable method. But.....
Both Lake Gatun and Lake Bayano are filled with exotic species
And I have had to go much farther afield than I had anticipated, , ito find endemic species.
9ed79a01-143e-473c-868f-c58ff7e45ee4.jpegIMG_4104.jpegIMG_7027.jpegIMG_6849.jpeg2f1d4f80-6a2c-439f-82ee-e6fef31150a8.jpeg

IMG_6849.jpeg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
If you can't be...with the fish you love....love the ones you're with....love the ones you're with...:)

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
The expat life is always a fascinating read for me, even though I never expect to make such a move myself. I'm up for whatever details and experiences you are willing to share.

Reactions: tlindsey

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
My aim had been for years, to end up moving to a place where endemic cichlids live.
I said it before and I’ll say it again, you are the most hardcore fish keeper I know. :thumbsup:

Amazing that you uprooted your whole life to get closer to native species!

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
One endemic cichlid species of Panama that I used to keep is Crytoheros Panamensis. Have you found any of them yet.
I missed my Crytoheros Panamensis and could not find replacement as they are rarely available in the hobby.

I just came back from a short tour of Pananama city and found that food and lodging price there is not cheap, about the same as in US. I didnt visit Lake Gatun but saw it from a distance in the canal museum and on hill top. Lake Gatun is a man made lake so there is no time to evolve large CA as found in Lake Nicaragua but I believe there are other convict size species you can discover in small streams.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I have panamensis growing out from a spawn earlier this summer and should be ready in a couple of months :)

I've certainly got my eye on living at least part of the year "where the cichlids swim" when I can retire!

One endemic cichlid species of Panama that I used to keep is Crytoheros Panamensis. Have you found any of them yet.
I missed my Crytoheros Panamensis and could not find replacement as they are rarely available in the hobby.

I just came back from a short tour of Pananama city and found that food and lodging price there is not cheap, about the same as in US. I didnt visit Lake Gatun but saw it from a distance in the canal museum and on hill top. Lake Gatun is a man made lake so there is no time to evolve large CA as found in Lake Nicaragua but I believe there are other convict size species you can discover in small streams.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Duane, that sounds like a real adventure. Something I’ll never do myself under normal circumstances, but one never knows.

Events beyond my control could send me into the jungle or the tundra. I’m already in the desert, so either might be a real shock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store