Nov 28, 2022
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
.5ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
81-90%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I have an electric blue Jack Dempsey who is developing white sides. I thought this was ammonia burn at first but after testing the water quality is pristine. After looking back on some old threads could my bn pleco be sucking his slime coat? I put him in his own little quarebtine tank for now. Any thought are welcome. Thank you!!

IMG_7278.jpeg

IMG_7277.jpeg

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
duanes duanes
kno4te kno4te

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Agreed, and I would add 1tbsp salt for every 2 gallons of water to stimulate slime coat regeneration and keep bacterial counts low to prevent secondary bacterial skin infection. I would encourage a 50% water change twice a week to keep bacterial counts at the lowest, replace same concentration of salt with water changes for 2 weeks, at which point you can keep up the water changes & not replace the salt. Once fully healed up reintroduce to his home tank. If you suspect the pleco I would remove it

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Salt and water changes for now. Can also try a methylene blue dip if the salt and water changes aren’t helping. Remove pleco if needed. Update as it goes.

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
If you’re in the US, this is the salt I use from Home Depot. 99.8% pure sodium chloride. At $9/40# a heck of a lot cheaper than gimmicky “aquarium” salt 😆

IMG_3544.jpeg

Americancichlidsaredabest

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
Today he’s looking about the same. I did about a 50-75% ish water change and added more aquarium salt. I’ll try to get some better pics but it’s about a 20 gallon tub which kind of distorts the image.

Side profile shots of it in the tank would help, but it does look like damage from another fish. Are there other cichlids with it?
How would other fish cause this white look to the blue scales? Could it just be stress?

Salt and water changes for now. Can also try a methylene blue dip if the salt and water changes aren’t helping. Remove pleco if needed. Update as it goes.
I don’t usually have the problem of sick/unhealthy fish so what does the methylene blue do and where would I get some?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store