Discus Tank

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Absolutely not, unless it is a 50cm cube. Do some research. Discus grow to 6-7" (15cm+) in the right conditions, and are tall. A standard height 50cm (30") tank is too small & totally unsuitable for discus, and most cichlids for that matter. If that the tank you have to work with on your next project, then maybe try a dwarf cichlid, like apistogrammas or neolamprologus, instead.

Last edited:

SilverArowanaBoi

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
This is obviously a wind up
No, I've actually heard of Discus and Arowanas working together. That isn't a completely nuts idea, though it must be done in a massive tank with proper decor and filtration, which most average monster fish keepers can't manage unless they are like Ohio Fish Rescue.

Reactions: Simonas and AR1

SilverArowanaBoi

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Can discus do well with Arowana's? I have a 400 gallon arowana tank so just wondering
In that size of tank, you'd be better off doing Stingrays or something else if you have no other tankmates currently. But I don't have experience with this so others can chime in with better answers. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AR1

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
No, I've actually heard of Discus and Arowanas working together. That isn't a completely nuts idea, though it must be done in a massive tank with proper decor and filtration, which most average monster fish keepers can't manage unless they are like Ohio Fish Rescue.
As someone who keeps both it sounds like a completely nuts idea to me! :)

Reactions: ken31cay and AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
As someone who keeps both it sounds like a completely nuts idea to me! :)
So will the discus cause problems or the arowana? I also have a 8 inch arowana whos totally a wimp and gets beat up by 3 inch cichlids. So please, educate me 🙂

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
So will the discus cause problems or the arowana? I also have a 8 inch arowana whos totally a wimp and gets beat up by 3 inch cichlids. So please, educate me 🙂
Arowanas are pretty boisterous and big fish growing quickly, discus in my opinion tend to suffer if not the kings of their tank so if anything is in there bigger then it seems to make the discus more reclusive and eating less
Plus youd be feeding the aro loads of meaty foods and the discus youd be targetting with more high protein foods

Each to their own but just a bizarre, unnecessary and daft mix of fish for me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store