Need help

john88c

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2024
I have a 90 gallon the I accidentally hit and it cracked is this toast?

IMG_6968.jpeg

IMG_6966.jpeg

IMG_6964.jpeg

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
It’s very difficult to tell from those pics. The answer will depend on which seal the crack/splinter is. Which part of the tank are we looking at, corner seal, bottom seal, top seal?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Pretty hard to tell from the pics i agree.. this is acrylic right? Looks like more or less of chunk taken out. If its acrylic it can def. be fixed. Ive seen some patch work in glass. Its often not recommended but i know people out there do it.

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
It looks like a chip and not cracked... not cracked is a very good sign. I think you can use it. If it is NOT cracked, (yet) either remove the chip(s) and fill the gap with silicone or, use silicone to glue the chips back in place. I think it might be okay!

Reactions: wednesday13

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Years ago, I got tired of chipping the corners of all glass tanks. Found transparent plastic corner covers used with wallpaper. They are for outside corners of a wallpaper job. 90 degree and about one inch on a side. I take the time to trim the width down some, so it is not so wide. Cut to length & attach with clear silicone.

As far as the now chipped tank no way to really know without filling it up. If you are lucky enough to have a concrete basement with a floor drain no big deal if it lets go. In a house on carpet or wood floors 90 gallons can do damage and make a hell of a mess. Find a safe place fill it up and wait a few weeks but even that is no guarantee. I have used chipped tanks without problems.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
It looks like a chip and not cracked... not cracked is a very good sign. I think you can use it. If it is NOT cracked, (yet) either remove the chip(s) and fill the gap with silicone or, use silicone to glue the chips back in place. I think it might be okay!
Hello; I likely would also run an extra line of silicone on the inside of the tank at that corner. May not help much but sometimes I feel better doing something.

Reactions: Parka

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Hello; I likely would also run an extra line of silicone on the inside of the tank at that corner. May not help much but sometimes I feel better doing something.
He would need to remove all the silicone from the corner in question to do this as silicone does not adhere to silicone. Whether or not that is worth while & relation to the risk involved,or feasible, is something to considered carefully 👍🏼

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
He would need to remove all the silicone from the corner in question to do this as silicone does not adhere to silicone. Whether or not that is worth while & relation to the risk involved,or feasible, is something to considered carefully 👍🏼
Hello; To reseal a tank which has already leaked or has been taken apart I agree with your comment for the most part. New silicone over old will not always seal for a leak. Not clear the OP has a leak as yet. I was thinking more of potential reinforcement of the structure. A bit of wallpaper corner siliconed on the outside ought to help with that as well.
Over the decades i have resealed a number of tanks starting with the type from 1959 having the metal frame and sealed with a tarlike substance.

The OP has a compromised tank at best. I have run chipped tanks for years without failure. I have had the factory seal on undamaged tanks give up.

But if trying to stop a leak I would cut away the old silicone from the inside of a tank. I posted my methods of sealing a tank on here before a few times since 2011. Old fish tank.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store