Pseudopimelodus bufonius not eating

Lazybum34

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
I revived my pseudopimelodus bufonius a week ago and im worried because he has barley eaten anything. I used tongs to get him to eat shrimp but he refused every singe time any thoughts on this situation?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d keep waiting it out. I’d try some massivore. Can even soak the pellet with bloodworm juice or garlic. If still not eating then try some fritz expel-p but think it should eat before thinking about meds. Keep an eye if it’s not putting on weight.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'd stop using tongs to poke food into the face of a shy fish that's been in the tank only a week. It sounds as though that isn't working, and that the small amount he has eaten has not been offered that way...so stop doing it.

Is it kept alone or are there other, more aggressive feeders kept with it? If the latter, perhaps try adding food after lights-out, assuming that the catfish becomes more active then. You can introduce food into its hiding place with a long, opaque tube (PVC or whatever) that gets the food down there safe from competition, but again you must be careful not to frighten the cat.

Lazybum34

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
I'd stop using tongs to poke food into the face of a shy fish that's been in the tank only a week. It sounds as though that isn't working, and that the small amount he has eaten has not been offered that way...so stop doing it.

Is it kept alone or are there other, more aggressive feeders kept with it? If the latter, perhaps try adding food after lights-out, assuming that the catfish becomes more active then. You can introduce food into its hiding place with a long, opaque tube (PVC or whatever) that gets the food down there safe from competition, but again you must be careful not to frighten the cat.
The problem is one of the convict cichlids that I have him with are bullying him I'm gonna remove them later today

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I think I’ve had my four now over at year and since I moved them out of the community tank where fish kept going missing, I don’t think I have ever seen any one of them eat. But I keep putting food in there and either they must eat it, the snails must eat it or it ends up broken down in the filter or removed at water change.
They are a secretive fish that I don’t expect to see out and about often, let alone eating.
Give him chance, remove the bully, ensure the food is varied and correct size and he can pick what he wants, filter and water change to remove waste/keep good quality.

Lazybum34

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
I think I’ve had my four now over at year and since I moved them out of the community tank where fish kept going missing, I don’t think I have ever seen any one of them eat. But I keep putting food in there and either they must eat it, the snails must eat it or it ends up broken down in the filter or removed at water change.
They are a secretive fish that I don’t expect to see out and about often, let alone eating.
Give him chance, remove the bully, ensure the food is varied and correct size and he can pick what he wants, filter and water change to remove waste/keep good quality.
He ate this morning but he is pretty beat up

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Ours sat in the hide all the time and I dropped food on his head which was consumed greedily. They are generally not fussy.

jags 1.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store