Type of oscar

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
First thing first, it's not a true albino. True albino will not have any black in it at all, just pink and white. What you have is a Lutino Oscar. That's what all the non true albino white Oscar's are. And it looks like a Lutino Tiger. But, Oscar's are notorious for their ability to change a lot during growth. For instance, this one I got had just six or so spots on each side as a fry.20170605_181533.jpg
And a year later turned into this...20180830_170959.jpg

sean2024

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2024
Maine
Your oscar is gorgeous 😍 and okay. Now are lutinos/lutino tigers a natural breed? Or are they man made? And are they weaker than pure breds? Thats what i thought because this one was in the tiger oscar tank at my LFS and it was sold to me as a albino tiger which does not look like them at all. I’ve actually had a true albino tigers which died in two days so I didnt get to see him grow and this one just didnt look anything like the one I had. The whole tale is black and you can see his or her round spots are coming in black on the body. The black spots were very very faint at first then got darker and darker and is continuing to get darker and darker throughout time.

Reactions: tlindsey and AR1

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Lutino is a color morph. Meaning the normal black, green coloring is absent and replaced with white. It's a genetic thing. Does it make then any weaker. Breeders that don't diversify the geens they use are what makes weak fish. Continued inbreeding etc to get a specific color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store