I Feel Like Quitting this Hobby

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
I understand your frustration. What helps me get a clearer mind in these situations is stepping back and doing something else for a little while, even perhaps for a few days. Try to clear your mind from fishkeeping and come back with fresh energy. Once you've relaxed your mind a bit, here are some suggestions to help fix the problems:

1. I wouldn't recommend power feeding since you are low on de-chlorinator. I assume you have sizeable specimens; if so, you can back off feeding for a few days, especially if you've been feeding them daily or every other day. If you have smaller specimens, I would feed them every other day or every two days. If you're worried about specific fish not eating, target feed them, but otherwise, back off feeding for a few days to prevent more problems.

2. Try to exert some self-control when buying and selling new fish. Trust me, I've been there. Some of the fish are native species; you collected them, correct? Perhaps take the ones you don't care as much for, put them back where they came from (as long as they are healthy and all of that), and then keep the ones that are your absolute favorites. You have to have some self-control when getting fish. I know it's hard, considering there are 100s of beautiful and awesome species of freshwater fish, but it's a key component of this hobby (and honestly any hobby for that matter). Also, for the sharks and other fish that are getting too large, again, if they're native, put them back where they came from; if not, perhaps sell/give them on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

3. Research, Research, Research! On the same line as above, do a ton of research to prevent random impulse buys every time you go to the fish store, lake, or wherever you get your fish. Once I knew about most species around my area's fish stores (especially oddballs that were the coolest fish), it helped me to reason when the temptation of rare new fish appeared so that I could bite my wallet, move on, and dream of having the proper housing for the fish later on.

4. Regarding the plants, I can't help you there. I'm horrible with aquatic plants, lol.

Finally, 5. Don't be mad at your siblings or parents. Those circumstances are out of your control; they aren't your fault either. They are just circumstances that are out of your control. Instead, perhaps research some ways you can make money online. You could do plenty of things that are suitable for your age. Start a YouTube channel or be an online graphic designer if you're good at graphic design. Or, if you're good at writing, be a writer for various businesses. There are many ways to make money; you just have to find them.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.
Thank you for this advice. A few things I wanted to touch on. I was going to and still want to release some of those darters and stuff I collected to much of but the creek is not in walking range. Also I have a YouTube channel but it hasn’t got much action. I have over 100 sub and get good views but not enough to make profit. I want to sell the iridescent sharks and stuff but as far as I know your can’t sell fish on Facebook marketplace and also my parents and I can’t find any commonly active fish selling groups on Facebook. And they still don’t really want my listing the shark on here.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Loganfish Loganfish , sorry you're struggling but here's an out of the box idea: Make flyers advertising your fish for sale with safe contact information. Put the prices on them like a list give the sizes (adult, juvies, babies). Distribute them in mailboxes and tape up on bus stops in your area. I used to do flyer distribution stuff like that all the time. You'd be surprised at the number of eyes you'll get at a bus stops! At the bottom of the flyers have "take one." Make a main copy, xerox it and hit the streets with your roll of scotch tape. Fold up flyers inserted in mailboxes!

I can show you sample if you like. I have a cousin who does hair and I designed a flyer for her clients.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Maybe you can ask your parents to list your ID sharks on Craigslist. Also, never meet anyone unless you are with your parents. Probably best they list their contact info and communicate with the buyer on your behalf.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Thank you for this advice. A few things I wanted to touch on. I was going to and still want to release some of those darters and stuff I collected to much of but the creek is not in walking range. Also I have a YouTube channel but it hasn’t got much action. I have over 100 sub and get good views but not enough to make profit. I want to sell the iridescent sharks and stuff but as far as I know your can’t sell fish on Facebook marketplace and also my parents and I can’t find any commonly active fish selling groups on Facebook. And they still don’t really want my listing the shark on here.
Whats the name of your youtube channel? i am also running two for the same reason, earning money. You can apply for monetism once you hit 500 subs and if your channel has good views then you get some decent money. Post the link to your channel here and we will subscribe. Hopefully you will hit 500 subscribers soon!

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Two things come to mind. First is the need for chemicals during a water change (WC). Need to be sure the water company uses only chlorine and does not use chloramine as a treatment chemical. I am lucky in that my company uses only chlorine so I do let water sit in jugs a few days. Been doing such for many years.

Next is this idea.
. I was going to and still want to release some of those darters and stuff I collected to much of but the creek is not in walking range.
My understanding is even native species you collect yourself should not be released back into the same stream after being held in captivity. Perhaps check state laws about such. Not the same reasoning as rules against releasing non-native species. Likely more because of fear an exotic disease or parasite may have been picked up from association with the other exotics/species we keep.

Rougarou

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
The easiest remedy to combat this frustration is to stop power feeding and overstocking the tanks. You’re not doing yourself or the fish any favors by doing that. A little alcohol and some grass doesn’t hurt either.

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store