I Feel Like Quitting this Hobby

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; This comment is not directed specifically at the OP. Starting 65 years ago and for a decade or few I encouraged new fish keepers. I no longer do so. Seen too many bad outcomes. I do not lie to someone considering starting up the hobby, but I do discourage.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Hello; This comment is not directed specifically at the OP. Starting 65 years ago and for a decade or few I encouraged new fish keepers. I no longer do so. Seen too many bad outcomes. I do not lie to someone considering starting up the hobby, but I do discourage.
Many a time when friends and family come to the house they usually make a bee line for my fish room to have a look. People just love looking at fish swimming in a big tank. I've even had random neighbours knock on my door when they see my tank lit up through the window at night.

They all have one thing in common, that is they ask a lot of questions, and sometimes the conversation will go down the route of, "you'll have to help me set a tank up of my own".

And I'm always completely brutal about it. There is hell of a lot of skill, knowledge and experience that goes into my tanks running healthily, and I don't leave a stone unturned trying to put them off.

It usually works but sometimes they are still interested, as in the recent case of my sister in law who wanted me to help her with a new set up, which I did, and her tank is running well, and, after guidance, she pretty much runs that tank by herself now. I just check it now and again.

You really need to be aware of the potential pitfalls when starting out in this hobby because, let's face it, there are many. I try to provide that service with gusto when I'm approached by people, lol.

CichlidFiend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2007
My understanding is even native species you collect yourself should not be released back into the same stream after being held in captivity. Perhaps check state laws about such. Not the same reasoning as rules against releasing non-native species. Likely more because of fear an exotic disease or parasite may have been picked up from association with the other exotics/species we keep.
Extremely important, once that critter you collected enters a tank, it cannot be released, it can spread dieseses or parasites that can affect native populations and that is a massive problem, your going to have to destroy or rehome, they cannot be returned to the wild

Rougarou

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
And how on earth will a tank full of drunk and stoned fish help his cause!! Lol.
I wouldn't recommend that fish imbibe in the evil of drink, or partake in the Devil's Lettuce. However, the OP may benefit from the "medicinal" aspects of such. He seems unusually stressed .

• Haha
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store