MFK Member
Jul 29, 2024
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello,

After discerning our Eclipse Cat was too big a bully for the other fish in the tank, he was taken in by my coworker in her extra 75g where he is the lone occupant. Today she showed me this and it’s concerning. I can’t tell if that’s potentially HITH or if he has hurt him self on the gravel, as he does root around a lot and get into tight spaces hiding.
i told her I would see what I could find in hopes of treating whatever it is right away.

IMG_6542.jpeg

Reactions: Midwater

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks very superficial would watch but not hith to me just yet. Up the water changes to 50% twice a week for now with goal of keeping tank cycled and nitrates below 20ppm. Would dab the areas with some methylene blue for now. Make sure it’s eating and update as it goes.

Reactions: AR1

Jason01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2024
Fantastic, thank you. I will send this to her immediately. Much appreciated.

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
In addition to kno4te kno4te input, I would add salt at 1tbsp/5gal to prevent secondary bacterial infection. The substrate does look to have sharpish edges, so maybe change out to smooth river gravel or pool filter sand 👍

Reactions: jjohnwm

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
In addition to kno4te kno4te input, I would add salt at 1tbsp/5gal to prevent secondary bacterial infection. The substrate does look to have sharpish edges, so maybe change out to smooth river gravel or pool filter sand 👍
Aren't catfish sensitive to salt?

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Not that I am aware of. I have had different pleco’s in tanks I have salted over the last 40 years, and caught many catfish in both brackish and full salt water.

Reactions: AR1

Jason01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2024
Thank you, I will definitely pass that along.
I thought perhaps the substrate because I know when it was in my tank (was a bulky at night) he hid and rotted in the sand a lot etc.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Salt should be fine for catfish. If you decide for methylene blue then should be fine as well. If the fish is eating and provide clean water then it should heal up even without salt and MB. Eclipse cats are pretty sturdy and resilient. My old eclipse would get similar marks and clear up real quick. Post any updates.

Reactions: danotaylor
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store