RTC or Red Tail Catfish at Fish Story Aquariuma and Rescue

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IME, RTCs seem to be inconsistent in getting trained to come for handfeeding. We had many that would learn quick, and then some, like these, that appear very slow to learn:

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Just saw your video Victor, i am so sorry for the loss of the RTC and the TSN. I suggest creating a separate, large quarantine tank/pond, one with sufficient dimensions. The fish you rescued in this video seemed stressed due to the reasons you mentioned, but also due to the shallow water in the tank and the treatment part was the final blow. In my opinion, you should have placed the fish in a proper quarantine pond/tank, wait for a day or two for their stress to reduce, and then begin the treatment.
You can also use kiddie pools as quarantine ponds if buying additional tanks isn't possible or hard for you.

Just my two cents 🙂

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Just saw your video Victor, i am so sorry for the loss of the RTC and the TSN. I suggest creating a separate, large quarantine tank/pond, one with sufficient dimensions. The fish you rescued in this video seemed stressed due to the reasons you mentioned, but also due to the shallow water in the tank and the treatment part was the final blow. In my opinion, you should have placed the fish in a proper quarantine pond/tank, wait for a day or two for their stress to reduce, and then begin the treatment.
You can also use kiddie pools as quarantine ponds if buying additional tanks isn't possible or hard for you.

Just my two cents 🙂
All good and fair, thank you brother in fish. I am a fish junky and the QT tanks get used up for non QT purposes when empty, so I prefer to treat fish and place them straight into our main tanks. I've got a lot of experience doing it but once in a while I falter. I should have kept a closer watch and checked more often on these guys in treatment. I'd catch it in time I believe. I got badly distracted by serving paying visitors to the Aquarium.

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store