So. What's the largest tank you could handle?

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I'm talking realistic not wild fantasy. What's your size and patience limit with energy usage, materials, supplies and potential moisture/humidity in an enclosed space. And the occasional catastrophe. Assuming you have room.

My own limit would be 275-300ish on the outside. But with light stocking.

DIYers might be willing to take on the super huge stuff. But...

1725117444538.png

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
In my current residence I think I'm pretty much there with my 360 fibreglass tank. With the filtration barrel at the side of it it takes up a fair bit of space.

I could say that if we moved into a much bigger house I could probably handle a much much larger tank, but then we're getting into the ifs, buts and maybes territory so I'll not comment any further on that.

Besides, my fish keeping philosophy is evolving somewhat. My 360g no longer has the wow factor for me now, I honestly prefer my two other much smaller tanks. In due course my 360 will be going and I'll be happy with 3 or 4 much smaller replacement set ups.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
My tanks tend to be sparsely stocked...we won't talk about these dang goldfish...and I have moved heavily towards non-heated tanks in recent years. Heating is by far the most energy-intensive part of aquarium keeping; pumps run for peanuts compared to heaters. Lighting? I use shoplites; cheap to buy, cheap to run, especially in the new-fangled age of LED's.

I don't feel the need for my tanks to look like industrial washing machines on the Heavy cycle, and frankly wouldn't hesitate to run any size tank using strictly air-powered sponge filters and/or side-mounted sumps operated by air-powered dual-siphon setups. I well remember my first actual "fish room" many years ago and the fact that there were no water pumps in it aside from the utility pump I used for water changes back then. I still think a large central air pump combined with a multi-outlet manifold is likely the single most useful fishroom improvement one can make.

I don't have issues with humidity; all tanks are covered, and dehumidifiers combine with ventilation to keep my air around 40% humidity. In fact, in winter, I actually uncover some tanks to raise the humidity above the Saharan levels that wood stove or electric heat produce.

In fact, back when I had an Artesian spring running into my basement, I could have handily maintained my tanks with no filtration whatsoever; a constant flow-through system is the ultimate in water quality management. Filters are just a feeble attempt at mimicking the effects of continuous new fresh clean water.

For me, the limiting factors are:

1. Space. I have retired into a little bungalow with a half-basement, so I have only so much room for any of my hobbies.

2. Time. I don't want to turn my hobby into an unpleasant chore; done it before, not going back there.

3. Water! My well seems to be more-or-less bottomless, but I don't want to test its limits too much. I change roughly 900-1000 gallons of water weekly, year-round. No buckets, this is all done by opening and closing valves and turning pumps on and off. I am basically sitting on my butt throughout most of the procedure, just watching. :)

4. Structural integrity of the house. I don't know how big of a tank could be placed on the poured slab in my basement, and don't want to find out the hard way. Ask an engineer, you say? Sure, go ahead; between covering their own asses, not knowing the details of my home's construction and simply disagreeing on the sum of 2 + 2, you will never get the same answer from any of them.

Overall, I'd say that I'm trending in exactly the opposite direction to that chosen by Esox. He's leaning more towards a few smaller tanks; if I were to start from scratch right now, I would likely go for a single big tank in the 800-1000-gallon range, set it up for minimal maintenance and semi-automated water changes, and call it a day. I'd always have a couple smaller tanks ready for emergencies, hospitals, quarantine, etc. but they would only be set up when needed, using matured sponge filters kept ready and waiting in the big tank's sump.

I like to think that I would still keep fish outdoors in the summer, but sadly those fish need indoor winter homes as well so that means more tanks. In a perfect world, my single outdoor pond would be something like 6 - 8 feet deep, with liquid water beneath even the thickest ice layer in winter (our ice is usually 4 feet or so thick in mid-winter). The inhabitants? A few goldfish and a colony of Rosy Reds would do nicely, keeping mosquitoes down during the warm months.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
If I got rid of both my 125s and 4 of my 40s I would have space for... About a 700 gal

• Wow
Reactions: AR1 and FINWIN

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I’m strongly independent when it comes to how I go about my life so for me the main issue is how big of a tank can I move by myself. My two glass 125’s were simple enough to move but going upto 180 the weight over doubles and the extra 6” of width would make it a fair bit harder to maneuver it by hand when I’m done with the dolly but I believe it’s more than possible. If I went with acrylic then weight is no longer as big as a concern but then I’d say I’m tapping out at 8’x3’x2’ as that’s just about the biggest I can go without having to tear down a door frame or do any extensive reinforcing of the floors underneath it so I’ll stick with my lovely two 125’s for now.

Trouser Cough

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
I have an 800, two 300's (fish processor tubs) , a 180, a 110, a 75, a 60, a 50... and some other stuff that's torn down and awaiting rebuild.

The 800 popped a seal not long ago and it was the 2nd time. I like that tank a lot and would prefer not to be w/out it but when something goes wrong w/ a big tank the size of the problem can be daunting. If anything else goes wrong at the same time that problem can shift from daunting to complete cluster in a heartbeat.

My 800's seam popped and then I got in a little bit of a wipe out on a motorcycle and snapped my left foot. I'm fortunate that all of the fish have been fine but it hasn't been a cake walk and for two months walking wasn't an option nor was climbing up and over the edge of the tank to work on the inside. As of today the interior is completely stripped and I'm waiting for caulk. As soon as that arrives it'll be another couple three weeks before I fill it w/ water again as thick caulk needs a little cure time and exactly how long is a voodoo science.

Trouser Cough

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
I don't know how big of a tank could be placed on the poured slab in my basement, and don't want to find out the hard way.
When I was building the house I live in now the garage slab had some bubbles in it. I asked the concrete finisher what the problem was and he gave me a really animated response about "it's from the steel" and was waving around his hand trowel like that might help explain something. I went to the batch plant and asked if maybe there were too much of whatever end of season chemical they put in the mix to help it cure in colder temps and they sent a guy out to test the slab.

I was skeptical. More so when he broke out this little steel box that had a button on it and when you push the button a finger would pop out, shaped something like one of the bars on a gun safe but w/ a rounded end. He held it above the slab, pushed the button and the the finger popped out and bumped the slab. He held it up and looked at it and said "3000".

I said "this will handle 3000 pounds per square foot"?

He said "no, per square inch".

That could have been a BS machine built to calm wet hen homeowners that just bought a bogus mix but I don't think so. I said all that just to say that apparently there may not be too much guess work in figuring out how much weight your slab will support. You just need a sales guy from the local batch plant to give you the finger.

Trouser Cough

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
If there were one thing I'd do differently were I to do it again it would be that I'd rather the 800g were 12' long instead of ten. The distance from front to back is less important to me than viewing width and as long as you don't have a bunch of jerks in the tank that cordon off their own section w/ a 'none shall pass' rule you can get by w/ a narrower tank NP.

yellowfinfmb

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2020
I have a 670 gallon tank and fiberglass pond which is 600 gallons not set up yet and a couple of 90 gallons for grow out also a 270 gallon salt water
I like bigger tanks if I was building another one for the house I'm in now it would 13 .5 feet long and 4 ft deep and 36 inches high

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store