Is it possible to hybridize these species?

cryptoheros 12

Feeder Fish
Aug 31, 2024
I’ve started a project to hybridize some Central American fish, and I’d like to know if it’s possible to cross these species: Cryptoheros spilurus, Amatitlania nigrofasciata, Thorichthys meeki, and Vieja zonata. Looking forward to your advice!

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
duanes duanes

Reactions: AR1

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Even I have to agree with duanes duanes on this one. I don't see the purpose or point. To do what with these fish? I'm not trying to sound hostile, just trying to understand your long range plan.

To my dismay I've seen some short body oscars that look like goldfish moors on ebay. Completely insane.

Reactions: dmyersWv and AR1

cryptoheros 12

Feeder Fish
Aug 31, 2024
¿Entonces quieres crear más mestizos no identificables, para enturbiar un mercado ya turbio y considerarlo algo positivo?
Y la gente se pregunta por qué tuve que mudarme de Estados Unidos a un lugar donde solo hay peces salvajes.
[/CITA]
I'm not in the U.S. right now; I'm living in a Central American country for the time being. Some aquariums here sell these fish, and it's worth mentioning that they're bred for this purpose, not wild-caught. I have no intention of reintroducing species or anything like that. I just find it interesting that some of these species can hybridize, and from what I understand, some of these hybrids even occur naturally. I don't plan to sell or create anything new, and if I did, it would just be for my own interest.

Last edited:

cryptoheros 12

Feeder Fish
Aug 31, 2024
Incluso yo tengo que estar de acuerdo con duanes duanes en esto. No veo el propósito ni el sentido. ¿Qué hacer con estos peces? No intento sonar hostil, solo intento entender tu plan a largo plazo.

Para mi consternación, he visto algunos Oscar de cuerpo corto que parecen páramos de peces de colores en eBay. Una locura total.
[/CITA]
Didn't Flowerhorns and Blood Parrot cichlids start out pretty much the same way?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store