The lowest of light plants

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
What are some plants that can truly tolerate low light levels. I know anubias and java moss can. What others? The main light source i my fish room are the 16 led lights in the ceiling (think 16). Thank you

Reactions: tlindsey

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Currently I have both apongeton ulvaceus and nymphaea stellata (submerged) in a very low light tank both doing ok but with good substrate rather than good lighting and similar with giant vallis in another tank.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Currently I have both apongeton ulvaceus and nymphaea stellata (submerged) in a very low light tank both doing ok but with good substrate rather than good lighting and similar with giant vallis in another tank.
What substrate do you use?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Ferns, moss, water sprite, crypts, elodea, wisteria and hornwort work under low light.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Tropica aquarium soil under fine gravel. Although I do have a tendency to put a layer of garden clay for vallis first.
Thank you. I want to try some giant vals. I will be using terra cotta pots. Do you put the gardening clay at the very bottom then soil then gravel?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
If I soil a tank a place a layer of fiberglass window screen between the soil and gravel. Cut the screen larger than the tank footprint so you can tuck it down the sides to help keep the soil from escaping or being dug up.

Reactions: Charney
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store