Amount of different species of khuli's needed to be happy together?

BanjoCatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2019
I'm wanting to mix a variety of different types of khuli loaches such as the Giant Kuhli Loach (Pangio myersi), black khuli loach (Pangio Oblonga), Leopard Kuhli Loach (Pangio Shelfordi), Striped Kuhli Loach (Pangio Semicincta), and Neon Kuhli Loach (Pangio cf. doriae) in the same tank. My question is: let's say khulis like to be with at least 5 of there own kind, does 5 total within the Pangio genus count or should there be 5 of each species? I ask cause I have limited space and if I need to get 5 of each species then I might have to limit the number of species I get, but if I can get 3 of each species and they'll be happy then that's preferable.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
My experience with loaches, is that they form groups of their own, and don't interact with other even similar species, even if they inhabit the same space.

I would say with Kuhli, that five is far to few. I have seen them caught from streams where they form a colony of hundreds, or even thousands. The politics and they strange synchronised gymnastics can only be seen if you have got lots of them.

fishdance

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I have a 90 x 45 x 45 cm khuli loach (species only) tank. As they are shy and often secretive, I put in about hundred fish with a very deep bed (25cm) of 8mm river pebble several years ago. This let's some of their eggs and fry escape predation. I'm not sure how many fish now but I see all sizes and there are always some fish visible, active and interacting no matter what time of day/night that I look.

Reactions: Midwater
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store