OW_Exotics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2024
Hi, I am new here. I am currently growing out 4 geophagus tapajós and two Satanoperca Jurupari for a 6ft (550L) aquarium and recently acquired a 2-3” ST. Could these species live together in the 6ft until the datnoid outgrew it ? I currently have them housed all separately in smaller grow outs. Thank you for any advice 🙏

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Hi, I am new here. I am currently growing out 4 geophagus tapajós and two Satanoperca Jurupari for a 6ft (550L) aquarium and recently acquired a 2-3” ST. Could these species live together in the 6ft until the datnoid outgrew it ? I currently have them housed all separately in smaller grow outs. Thank you for any advice 🙏
Welcome to MFK!
Midwater Midwater

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Geos are not common to keep with dats, but it could work out given plenty of space. Six foot is enough for a couple of years only for dats, and ideally they need driftwood or other hiding spaces to feel comfortable.

The feeding is totally different.

I doubt you have got a 2-3" ST. They went extinct years ago. There were never any confirmed cases of captive breeding.

You my have a three bar IT.

Post some pictures.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard

OW_Exotics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2024
Geos are not common to keep with dats, but it could work out given plenty of space. Six foot is enough for a couple of years only for dats, and ideally they need driftwood or other hiding spaces to feel comfortable.

The feeding is totally different.

I doubt you have got a 2-3" ST. They went extinct years ago. There were never any confirmed cases of captive breeding.

You my have a three bar IT.

Post some pictures.
Yeah, I wasn’t too sure on the species. It was sold to me as a Siamese Tiger Fish and I knew that as datnioides pulcher. I’ll post a picture of it to see abt identification. I had seen pulcher for sale on sites such as predatory fins, etc and didn’t know they were extinct, thought they were critically endangered. Could it be undecimradiatus ? I’ve seen those referred to as Siamese tiger fish online too. Cheers for your help. Just started getting into more advanced species recently and the datnoid is my first “monster” species. I have people who can take it off my hands if it outgrows the 6ft before I can afford my own property so that I can get a larger tank.

AB3DA0B0-AE0A-48BA-886F-DEFDE7DF6049.jpeg

Reactions: Midwater

OW_Exotics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2024
Yeah, I wasn’t too sure on the species. It was sold to me as a Siamese Tiger Fish and I knew that as datnioides pulcher. I’ll post a picture of it to see abt identification. I had seen pulcher for sale on sites such as predatory fins, etc and didn’t know they were extinct, thought they were critically endangered. Could it be undecimradiatus ? I’ve seen those referred to as Siamese tiger fish online too. Cheers for your help. Just started getting into more advanced species recently and the datnoid is my first “monster” species. I have people who can take it off my hands if it outgrows the 6ft before I can afford my own property so that I can get a larger tank.

View attachment 1548591
The algae on the glass has been cleaned now 😂 wasn’t able to do it as much whilst doing my end of year exams. The fish is abt 2.4” I would say. Eats very well and I’ve seen the difference in what the geos and datnoid eat and I’m comfortable that I can cater to both of their needs as I work in an aquatics shop so have easy and fast access to any kind of food.

OW_Exotics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2024

View attachment 1548591
Unfortunately I cannot post any photos yet as my account is only recently created. It has a fork bar and good stability. When unstable it has gone very dark but remains stable a lot of the time. I’ll have to wait for a few days before I can post a photo for ID.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Pulcer: ST (Siamese Tiger) as they were called, were found in Thailand (Siam) and then latterly in Cambodia.
Undecimradiatus: NTT (Northern Thai Tigers) as they are called, and do come from Thailand, but the East and not the North.

But they don't look the same. NTT have thin stripes.

The picture above looks like a nice looking split bar IT.

OW_Exotics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2024
Thanks, didn’t think the photo would come through 😂. Good to know which species it is. Wasn’t too bothered rlly because I’ve always wanted to own a datnoid of any kind but the care is obviously slightly different between species so it’s important to know. Does the IT get as large as other species?

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Does the IT get as large as other species?
Probably the largest.

ST used to grow to about 15" and then thicken out a lot.
Rare to see NTT much above 12".
AT are the smallest, but thicken out early.
NGT - don't really know.

IT, given time, and a big enough body of water, can get to 18".

Reactions: AR1 and OW_Exotics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store