Lesson learned, the hard way

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I added this 10 inch walking catfish to my predator pond since it was bothering my aro a lot. The catfish was fine for two days until this happened. My snakehead did this . Now I know they really are ravenous killing machines.
Disclaimer: this image may contain graphic content
RIP pinky!

1000021405.jpg

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
New fish in a snake head's established territory is already a big problem and in combination with the same body shape it was a sure death sentence.
yeah i should have known better. It has also attacked a florida gar in the past as well. Strang thing is, it has never attacked my much smaller Midevil, which is 6 inches. Maybe it only shows aggression to similar shaped fish like you mentioned?

Anyways, i am considering giving it away, since it may attack my other fish in the future, once it gets bigger.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Maybe it only shows aggression to similar shaped fish like you mentioned?
I would cut the "only" from that. They are also known to show aggression to most silver fishes like big barbs etc. The only chance to keep it with other fish is to let it grow up with them and don't add anything. But this is just a chance not a guarantee.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Milingu
Once established, adding any new fish to a pond or tank with any territorial species is a risky proposition.
Many fish establish a hierarchy from the get go with each other, and will live in detente within its perceived, and often imaginary boundary for years, even though you might perceive them as potential adversaries.
But
Adding a new face, and all hell can break lose even in a well established system

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Agree with Milingu
Once established, adding any new fish to a pond or tank with any territorial species is a risky proposition.
Many fish establish a hierarchy from the get go with each other, and will live in detente within its perceived, and often imaginary boundary for years, even though you might perceive them as potential adversaries.
But
Adding a new face, and all hell can break lose even in a well established system
Judging by the info you mentioned, maybe that's the reason why the snakehead didn't bother the new midevil, because there was already a Midevil which grew up with it. So the snakehead must be considering them the same fish.
I love communities. But it is a difficult balance. I think we have all made mistakes.
I agree, my mix was always considered strange. I am still surprised its been more than 4 months that my community has been running.
However i am considering giving away the Channa due to its unpredictable nature

Any suggestions?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I
I would cut the "only" from that. They are also known to show aggression to most silver fishes like big barbs etc. The only chance to keep it with other fish is to let it grow up with them and don't add anything. But this is just a chance not a guarantee.
Sorry for your loss.
I'm not surprised at all.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I
Sorry for your loss.
I'm not surprised at all.
Thanks tlindsey tlindsey
I have made up my mind. Its going back to the LFS tomorrow, I don't wanna have it killing any other fish.
You and jjohnwm jjohnwm were right about them. They are killing machines

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store