Current stock.

Americancichlidsaredabest

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
What you want is near impossible. Most predators are of the ambush type. Meaning sits until lunch swims by then, then attacks.
Best I can suggest is a big group of Pimelodus pictus. They only get to around 6in. But in a group they move around a lot searching for food. Get around ten or so
Then some Andinoacara Pulcher, a smaller cichlid that resembles its cousin the Green Terror, Andinoacara Rivilatus. Can establish a breeding colony and the pictus will dispense of the fry. Get some larger bodied tetras like Buenos Aries or Columbians as dithers, get a big group around 15 to 20 or more to really get the schooling effect from them.
This tank should be nice and active. The cats always on patrol. Cichlids doing they thing and the tetras schooling about.
I was just realizing those two ( predatory and really active) don’t exactly go hand in hand. I was just looking at other members tanks here and I really like Caveden Caveden s bichir tank and was wondering if I could do that on a smaller scale. 2-4 bichirs like delhezis, 1-3 hujeta gar, and perhaps a satanoperca daemon or a silver datnoid with some dithers. Would that be overstocked? I’d be doing 85-90% water changes weekly.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I was just realizing those two ( predatory and really active) don’t exactly go hand in hand. I was just looking at other members tanks here and I really like Caveden Caveden s bichir tank and was wondering if I could do that on a smaller scale. 2-4 bichirs like delhezis, 1-3 hujeta gar, and perhaps a satanoperca daemon or a silver datnoid with some dithers. Would that be overstocked? I’d be doing 85-90% water changes weekly.
I have zero experience with any of the fish you listed. So will differ any answers to members who have.
The ones I listed above all come from the same areas, live in the same waters naturally, all stay on the smaller side ( the cats and Pulcher grow to about six inches) so the 6ft tank would be a good fit for life.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
If you are looking for answers regarding gars and bichirs, then maybe Hao Hao Can help?

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Don’t think you should add delhezi bichirs. Your current stock will finish all the food before it even touches the bottom. If you add a Florida gar, your tank is 6ft but the width may be the issue. It may be debatable if you were to add a gar, I’ll let others chime in. Some will say yes, some will say no.
I think an American tiger would work though :)

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
Don’t think you should add delhezi bichirs. Your current stock will finish all the food before it even touches the bottom. If you add a Florida gar, your tank is 6ft but the width may be the issue. It may be debatable if you were to add a gar, I’ll let others chime in. Some will say yes, some will say no.
Ok. How long do the Florida hat get? I’m ok with doing the hujeta or something similar. What species of bichir can I put in there? I’m guessing Senegal but I kinda wanted some variety. Also after doing some more research it appears the silver Datnoid prefers brackish so that’s a no.

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
Edit: I just realized I was talking about a different kind of Datnoid. Where can one get an American tiger? For the bichirs I was thinking 1 Senegal, 1 palmas, a mokelembe bichir. Do you think an ornate would be ok or to big? Also do any members here keep hujeta?

Reactions: AR1

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Edit: I just realized I was talking about a different kind of Datnoid. Where can one get an American tiger? For the bichirs I was thinking 1 Senegal, 1 palmas, a mokelembe bichir. Do you think an ornate would be ok or to big? Also do any members here keep hujeta?
Can I see your tank? I don’t know what fish you keep haha 😛

I don’t want to give out any wrong information not knowing what fish you keep and result in losses.

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
Can I see your tank? I don’t know what fish you keep haha 😛

I don’t want to give out any wrong information not knowing what fish you keep and result in losses.
I can def do that. I had plans to get rid of all of my current stock except for a few sds and an albino Senegal to start the bichir carpet.
I’ll try to snap a few later.

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
Tank is a mess right now. I didn’t have a vision and just threw stuff in during last water change 🤷‍♂️. And I need to scrub the glass in just realizing lol. Tank is mainly American cichlids which I’m planning on moving.

IMG_7403.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store