shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi All - had an outbreak and caught it too late, i misdiagnosed it as ich as the new fish had some spots on them but I think it was just form shipping. Rookie mistake, didn't quarantine and wiped out everything. By the time I used prazi / metro I think it was too late, all is dead now. I dont know what it actually was. White poop / heavy breathing / loss of color / hanging at the top / flashing a ton and fins peeling.

Anyway - I want to start over. I cleaned the FX6 and the tank with vinegar / water about 3 days ago. How long should I leave it empty to be safe?

• Sad
Reactions: AR1 and Midwater

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi All - had an outbreak and caught it too late, i misdiagnosed it as ich as the new fish had some spots on them but I think it was just form shipping. Rookie mistake, didn't quarantine and wiped out everything. By the time I used prazi / metro I think it was too late, all is dead now. I dont know what it actually was. White poop / heavy breathing / loss of color / hanging at the top / flashing a ton and fins peeling.

Anyway - I want to start over. I cleaned the FX6 and the tank with vinegar / water about 3 days ago. How long should I leave it empty to be safe?
Sorry for your loss. I suggest cleaning everything again with a little bleach and water. I'm not sure if the vinegar is strong enough.
Did you remove the substrate?
If so let the aquarium filter, ornaments, sit until atleast it's completely dry.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023

So sorry for your loss.

Reactions: shelbybmc

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Thanks all!!

Yeah worst part is knowing I did it to myself.. was impatient smh. I just got back into the hobby again too.

I did keep some tile ($$) but there was no substrate. I chucked out all the old wood / plants. The tile & filter/media have been dry for about 3 days now. Ill re-clean the fx6 with bleach mix I think and let that dry another couple days also. Expensive mistake that cant happen again or I'm just done unfortunately.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
So I took the fx6 back out, hooked it up to a garbage can full of bleach water mix. Ran it for almost 2 hours. Rinsed, dosed with like half a bottle of prime cause bleach is scary now its running again for a a bit. Will completely air dry and put in the run for the rest of the day.

As far as the tank & slate tile goes. I only washed those with vinagar & water but they have been and will be dry for days now. The only reason I havnt bleached that down is.. I sort of already began scaping again cause I was sad and bored lollll. Everything was dry before I began though, all new subtrate and wood, just prev tile.

Hoping that should do it, any other suggestions are welcome :)

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store