Rate growth rates of these cichilds from the fastest to the slowest!

Fanatic_Fish_Lunatic

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2024
Hello, can you guys help me about growth rates of these cichilds from the fastest to the slowest? Can you rate them in order? The list is below.

Blue Acara, Oscar, Green Terror, Jack Dempsey, Blood red Parrot, Flowerhorn, Green Texas, Red Texas, Cuban, Dovii, Jaguar, Red Devil, Midas, Umbee, Firemouth, Synspilum and Frontosa, for education purpose.

troublesum

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
Oscar
Red Devil
Midas
GT
JD
FH
FM
Parrot
Cuban
Red Texas
BA
Dovii
Umbee
Front
Not sure about Synspilum never kept them. I put Oscar first but the amps grow all about the same also the parachromis grow about the same.
A lot depends on WC, feeding, tank mates.
The Fronts are most def the slowest growers

Fanatic_Fish_Lunatic

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2024
Oscar
Red Devil
Midas
GT
JD
FH
FM
Parrot
Cuban
Red Texas
BA
Dovii
Umbee
Front
Not sure about Synspilum never kept them. I put Oscar first but the amps grow all about the same also the parachromis grow about the same.
A lot depends on WC, feeding, tank mates.
The Fronts are most def the slowest growers
Thanks, my professor let me make a project about whatever I like. So I just chose cichlids.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
What is the project? All of them can be variable. Generally speaking, from what I've seen oscars and flowerhorns have the capacity to grow the fastest, but in the case of the former this is only because people powerfeed them (not healthy for the fish). A lot of the big cichlids tend to grow faster if given the opportunity (again usually through powerfeeding). I've had vieja grow an inch a month, but I've heard of people having them grow half that speed. Hybrids in general tend to grow faster because hybrid vigor. Parachromis growth can vary as some like multifasciatus will only be growing about 3" a year. Umbee and dovii are usually another fast ish grower. With all of the larger cichlids on your list (save for frontosa) they can be in the 0.5-1" a month rate but I've heard of faster. I can however say that the blue acara and frontosa will be growing the slowest.

Reactions: EricTheRed

Fanatic_Fish_Lunatic

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2024
What is the project? All of them can be variable. Generally speaking, from what I've seen oscars and flowerhorns have the capacity to grow the fastest, but in the case of the former this is only because people powerfeed them (not healthy for the fish). A lot of the big cichlids tend to grow faster if given the opportunity (again usually through powerfeeding). I've had vieja grow an inch a month, but I've heard of people having them grow half that speed. Hybrids in general tend to grow faster because hybrid vigor. Parachromis growth can vary as some like multifasciatus will only be growing about 3" a year. Umbee and dovii are usually another fast ish grower. With all of the larger cichlids on your list (save for frontosa) they can be in the 0.5-1" a month rate but I've heard of faster. I can however say that the blue acara and frontosa will be growing the slowest.
It's kinda likes a presentation/documentary of what each student likes, blah blah blah. I have many favourite things, but I chose this. Luckily, my teacher loves fish, maybe it's my time to make drag him into cichlid keeping.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
It's kinda likes a presentation/documentary of what each student likes, blah blah blah. I have many favourite things, but I chose this. Luckily, my teacher loves fish, maybe it's my time to make drag him into cichlid keeping.
Don't mean to be interrogative or whatever but why do you need the growth rates for that

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
IDK, gotta add whatever I can in it. He said
Talk about cool behaviors in cichlids like how:
- nimbochromis mouthbrood and death feign (half burying themselves and changing their colors to look like they're decaying so they can ambush small fish that try to "scavenge" off of them)
- alcolapia live in like 100 degree water with a pH of 10
- gymnogeophagus are harem spawners where the male breeds with multiple females, they lay eggs on a rock and the females only mouthbrood the fry after they hatch
- nicaraguensis babysit dovii fry in lake xiloa because they compete for nesting space with neetroplus so they babysit dovii because that allows the mother to go hunt neetroplus (dovii fry are usually also only guarded by the mother)
- nicaraguensis also don't have adhesive eggs so they use their head to literally drill tunnels into walls of mud to spawn
- herotilapia and archocentrus make noises like drum
- vieja maculicauda is salt tolerant and uses the caribbean as a highway (they are found in nearly every river from Mexico to Panama that has access to the Caribbean)
- batches of herichthys minckleyi are born with 3 random jaw phenotypes to fill different niches so the population can never starve (the jaw structure they're born with is also entirely random and independent of whatever their parents had)
Half of this is stuff I had in one of my cichlid talks you are welcome to use it just credit @actinicola from Instagram (me)

Fanatic_Fish_Lunatic

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2024
Talk about cool behaviors in cichlids like how:
- nimbochromis mouthbrood and death feign (half burying themselves and changing their colors to look like they're decaying so they can ambush small fish that try to "scavenge" off of them)
- alcolapia live in like 100 degree water with a pH of 10
- gymnogeophagus are harem spawners where the male breeds with multiple females, they lay eggs on a rock and the females only mouthbrood the fry after they hatch
- nicaraguensis babysit dovii fry in lake xiloa because they compete for nesting space with neetroplus so they babysit dovii because that allows the mother to go hunt neetroplus (dovii fry are usually also only guarded by the mother)
- nicaraguensis also don't have adhesive eggs so they use their head to literally drill tunnels into walls of mud to spawn
- herotilapia and archocentrus make noises like drum
- vieja maculicauda is salt tolerant and uses the caribbean as a highway (they are found in nearly every river from Mexico to Panama that has access to the Caribbean)
- batches of herichthys minckleyi are born with 3 random jaw phenotypes to fill different niches so the population can never starve (the jaw structure they're born with is also entirely random and independent of whatever their parents had)
Half of this is stuff I had in one of my cichlid talks you are welcome to use it just credit @actinicola from Instagram (me)
Wow, those sounds so cool. Thank you! 👍

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store