Filter foam PPI: Numbers vs Performance

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I also use poret, the black one, in my sump as a divider. Coming up on 10 years with no issues. I have scuds in my sump that live in the foam which in addition to being very cool helps keep them cleared. I clean the foam once a year or less.

View attachment 1548945
Bought my last batch of 48”x48” foam for $60 about 4 years ago but it’s been deteriorating ever since. 10 years is a long time and a great testimony. However, 2 sheets of Poret for $260 plus tax and shipping is giving me pause…although I’m sure it’s worth it in the long run. What ppi are you using? Wonder if I could just stick with 30ppi only

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Poret lasts and lasts; I have pieces well over a decade old, still in good shape and in use. Buy once, cry once.

When I read that P phreeflow had bought a sheet of foam for $60 I at first thought he meant Poret; I would've jumped on that with both feet if I found a deal like that.

"Global First Quality"? Hmmm...okay...I'm sure that will last at least as long as the last batch did...maybe...

Reactions: celebrist

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Poret lasts and lasts; I have pieces well over a decade old, still in good shape and in use. Buy once, cry once.

When I read that P phreeflow had bought a sheet of foam for $60 I at first thought he meant Poret; I would've jumped on that with both feet if I found a deal like that.

"Global First Quality"? Hmmm...okay...I'm sure that will last at least as long as the last batch did...maybe...
We shall see. That $60 per poret sheet from 4 years ago turned into $130 plus tax/shipping real quick.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
We shall see. That $60 per poret sheet from 4 years ago turned into $130 plus tax/shipping real quick.
True...but...I think that P phreeflow was talking about another foam for that price? Maybe he can clarify?

Poret has never been cheap, but it is worth the cost in the long run. If your new foam comes in and falls apart quickly like the last one, then you must add the cost of both of those failed experiments to the cost of the eventual success when you finally get a long-lasting durable product that does the job intended. As you say...we shall see...

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Sorry for the confusion….it was NOT Poret. I wish.That $60 sheet was from some random company I found online and it is horrible. Looked and worked great for a short while but eventually it sags, compresses, and breaks apart whenever I rinse it out with a hose. I can’t stand the stuff

Reactions: FINWIN

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I use Swiss Tropicals. 30ppi. GREAT foam!!!
Hey Dawn, does the 30ppi clog quickly because it’s so fine? Wondering if I need to also get a 10 or 20ppi as a pre-filter to capture the big particles or if I can just use the 30ppi alone. Thanks

DawnMichele

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
Florida
Hey Dawn, does the 30ppi clog quickly because it’s so fine? Wondering if I need to also get a 10 or 20ppi as a pre-filter to capture the big particles or if I can just use the 30ppi alone. Thanks
Hey. I use the 30ppi in my marineland 350 penguin filters along with fluval bio rings and it does great. I never have a problem with it slowing down the bio wheels. I think you will be fine just using that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store