220 Aquarium Setup

powerlifter4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2017
Hey everybody. I recently got a 220 (6x2x2.5), resealed it, water tested, and drilled my holes for the plumbing to a 40 gallon sump. The tentative plan is for 2 adult oscars, potentially a small adult spotted gar, and a then a few uaru and severum. This seems to be a near full stocking list. Are there any catfish that I could house in this tank comfortably for life? Options are limited and my top choices are a hard no go (RTC and shovelnose). I can post pictures along the way if anybody is interested in the process.

Americancichlidsaredabest

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
Hey everybody. I recently got a 220 (6x2x2.5), resealed it, water tested, and drilled my holes for the plumbing to a 40 gallon sump. The tentative plan is for 2 adult oscars, potentially a small adult spotted gar, and a then a few uaru and severum. This seems to be a near full stocking list. Are there any catfish that I could house in this tank comfortably for life? Options are limited and my top choices are a hard no go (RTC and shovelnose). I can post pictures along the way if anybody is interested in the process.
If you like the look of the shovelnose, maybe try Lima? They stay on the smaller side. You should definitely post pics.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
A 220 is not that much bigger than a 125 relatively. A few inches wider A few inches taller.
After having a solo Oscar in a 125 I think you are expecting to much from the 220. Two Oscar's a gar and Sevrums and Urau plus a catfish. In my opinion that would be way over stocked and would need massive water changes daily to even consider keeping all those fish. It's better to uderstock and have better water quality and space for the fish then a glass box that looks like a can of sardines.

My Oscar Toni and her Ornatus catfish friend20180904_191751.jpg
20180830_172229.jpg20180830_171140.jpg20180404_233558.jpg

I would pic your favorites of thr Oscar's, Urau or Sevrums. Plan on one or two of them with a medium sized catfish.

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
A 220 is not that much bigger than a 125 relatively. A few inches wider A few inches taller.
After having a solo Oscar in a 125 I think you are expecting to much from the 220. Two Oscar's a gar and Sevrums and Urau plus a catfish. In my opinion that would be way over stocked and would need massive water changes daily to even consider keeping all those fish. It's better to uderstock and have better water quality and space for the fish then a glass box that looks like a can of sardines.

My Oscar Toni and her Ornatus catfish friendView attachment 1549103
View attachment 1549104View attachment 1549105View attachment 1549106

I would pic your favorites of thr Oscar's, Urau or Sevrums. Plan on one or two of them with a medium sized catfish.
Less is more is truly a beautiful thing that should be a rule in tanks honestly

powerlifter4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2017
Thanks for the pics and advice! I appreciate the comments. I guess until there are actually fish in there it's hard to gauge how full the tank will look. After some discussion with my wife, I think we are not going to go with the oscars, gar and medium sized catfish anymore due to limited space for everything else. It will be for my baby severums and uarus, and then our 6 adult angels and corydoras. In time I will have to trim up the number of severum, as I currently have 8 and then 6 uaru, maybe even the uaru as well. But until then, there's a lot of space! I'll had some pictures tomorrow as lights are off in the "fish room".

Reactions: Jexnell

ken31cay

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
I had the same thought as some of the posts above; the amount of fish you mentioned as a stock list is way too many IMHO. I would recommend no more than 2 full-grown Oscars for that tank, you could stretch it a little more and also add a small bottom dweller. Or another recommendation could be one Oscar and a either some Severums or dithers such as a decent sized school of Silver Dollars. If you have two Oscars make sure they get along as they reach adulthood and beyond. Hope you have a good outcome.

Reactions: powerlifter4

powerlifter4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2017
I had the same thought as some of the posts above; the amount of fish you mentioned as a stock list is way too many IMHO. I would recommend no more than 2 full-grown Oscars for that tank, you could stretch it a little more and also add a small bottom dweller. Or another recommendation could be one Oscar and a either some Severums or dithers such as a decent sized school of Silver Dollars. If you have two Oscars make sure they get along as they reach adulthood and beyond. Hope you have a good outcome.
Good point. Maybe I failed to realize oscars truly need that much space. I definitely prefer quality of life over quantity of fish

Reactions: CrunchyLobster123
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store