Sunshine peacock cichlid coloring down

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
What species are the other fish in the tank?

Reactions: AR1

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Will leave detailed comment on the bichirs to others. My understanding is that they are a 20" fish (depending on species) and like a pH that is lower than ideal parameters for peacocks.

The specific species of peacocks could be causing aggression...not all peacocks get along. What are the species with genus, species and collection point. Example is Aulonocara stuartgranti Maleri Island.

If your fish is a pure sunshine, the scientific name would be Auloncara baenschi. He may be unhappy in a tank with other yellow peacocks or jacobfreibergi peacocks or hybrid peacocks...like the OB.

And how many of each.

Lazybum34

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
Will leave detailed comment on the bichirs to others. My understanding is that they are a 20" fish (depending on species) and like a pH that is lower than ideal parameters for peacocks.

The specific species of peacocks could be causing aggression...not all peacocks get along. What are the species with genus, species and collection point. Example is Aulonocara stuartgranti Maleri Island.

If your fish is a pure sunshine, the scientific name would be Auloncara baenschi. He may be unhappy in a tank with other yellow peacocks or jacobfreibergi peacocks or hybrid peacocks...like the OB.

And how many of each.
1 ob ,1 sunshine peacock (half royal blue) , 1 eureka red, 1 albino senegal bichir and 1 delhezi bichir in total 3 peacocks and 2 bichir

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Is this a 72" tank? Lake Malawi cichlids like peacocks like to be in larger groups to manage aggression.

The OB is a hybrid (more aggressive) and the eureka is a jacobfreibergi (more aggressive) sos the baenchi may feel intimidated and never color well.

Lazybum34

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
Is this a 72" tank? Lake Malawi cichlids like peacocks like to be in larger groups to manage aggression.

The OB is a hybrid (more aggressive) and the eureka is a jacobfreibergi (more aggressive) sos the baenchi may feel intimidated and never color well.
Should I stock up a bit more, the tank is 75 gallons

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
In a 75G I would remove all the fish but the baenschi and then stock with 11 more haps and peacocks that are NOT hybrids, NOT jacobfreibergi and not yellow.

One source I read said the senegal needs a 60" x 24" tank minimum as well as pH of 7.8 or below.

Reactions: Lazybum34

Lazybum34

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
In a 75G I would remove all the fish but the baenschi and then stock with 11 more haps and peacocks that are NOT hybrids, NOT jacobfreibergi and not yellow.

One source I read said the senegal needs a 60" x 24" tank minimum as well as pH of 7.8 or below.
Ok thank you I will try to find some at my lfs

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
IME even in a 72" tank filled with other timid peacocks and haps, if there is a jake or hybrid in the tank the more timid ones do not color well.

Reactions: RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store