African Tigerfish and water flow

LaneB

Feeder Fish
Sep 15, 2024
So I’m in the early stages of research on potentially getting an African tigerfish in the future (possibly far future unfortunately) and one thing I’m confused on is the flow of water in the aquarium. The pinned guide on here and most other sources agree that a strong current is important for these guys, as well as having areas in the tank that have softer/no current to rest. As someone who hasn’t ever done advanced aquariums, how does one achieve this? Also how much flow would be appropriate? Other thing I was wondering is what other fish could potentially be added into the same aquarium and still be comfortable in the heavy current

Reactions: tlindsey and AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
So I’m in the early stages of research on potentially getting an African tigerfish in the future (possibly far future unfortunately) and one thing I’m confused on is the flow of water in the aquarium. The pinned guide on here and most other sources agree that a strong current is important for these guys, as well as having areas in the tank that have softer/no current to rest. As someone who hasn’t ever done advanced aquariums, how does one achieve this? Also how much flow would be appropriate? Other thing I was wondering is what other fish could potentially be added into the same aquarium and still be comfortable in the heavy current
Welcome to MFK!
kno4te kno4te

Reactions: kno4te and LaneB

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard

Reactions: LaneB and AR1

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I don’t keep tiger fish due to being in Florida. I do have an idea but I’d defer to keepers. Maybe C Chicxulub Siddons11 Siddons11 and Jiyowel Jiyowel have an idea.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I don’t keep tiger fish due to being in Florida. I do have an idea but I’d defer to keepers. Maybe C Chicxulub Siddons11 Siddons11 and Jiyowel Jiyowel have an idea.
Thanks for chiming in, kno4te kno4te ! I knew that not only did you have knowledge about tiger fish, but you also knew about other expert members, which I didn’t, and that’s why I tagged you.

Reactions: LaneB and kno4te

Jiyowel

ATF Master in Training
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
From my experience you just need a lot of oxygen in the aquarium like 2-3 pcs of air stone/air disc. If you would keep multiple Atfs I suggest you buy wave makers cause it would lessen their aggression to each other. Also you would need a lot of dither fish if not ATFs would bite and eventually kill each other

Reactions: LaneB and AR1

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I kept a Vittatus for a couple of years until I spooked him and he killed himself a couple of weeks ago, he was 13" and a fine specimen.

He was in a 9'x 3'2.5 tank. it had plenty of other fish in there and tank mates werent an issue as he just did his own thing. Always out in centre of tank and active and super easy to feed as they are a greedy fish. Tanks mates were a pair of rays, asian aro, peacock bass, catfish, clown loach, fire eel, datnoid

Glow wise I have a powerful return pump in the sump so I had that on quite high and 2 wave makers at one end of the tank. There was never a behavioural sign that he loved it but they do seem happier with higher flow

They are great fish, the best I have kept in 33 years so I was gutted he died , I now have another tiny vittatus to grow on again. Mine spooked because I took a floaing ray basket out, I had used it three times before with ray pups but this day he just went mental and banged his head. They are skittish at water change time etc so I would leave lights on in room before doing the water change

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store