Pseudopimelodus bufonius weird feeding behavior

ImaddictedTo_catfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2024
When feeding my 4 inch pseudopimelodus bufonius he seems to only accept the food when I wiggle it around in his face, do any of you know if this normally happens with this species? My old 8 inch one did not have this problem with feeding.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
When feeding my 4 inch pseudopimelodus bufonius he seems to only accept the food when I wiggle it around in his face, do any of you know if this normally happens with this species? My old 8 inch one did not have this problem with feeding.
Not particularly unusual; I've seen Pseudopimelodus spp. refuse everything but live foods before.
They don't 'scavenge' as much as other catfish (and are typically more inactive overall). More inclined to ambush small fishes (even congeners and difficult-to-digest species like loricariids and Corydoras!)
The smaller size will likely have some impact, too- it seems like larger individuals are somewhat less picky about what they eat.
The good thing is that the fish is eating in the first place- that's oftentimes the most difficult step to overcome. I'd assume he'll start taking food without you wiggling it around as he grows.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could’ve been fed live food prior to purchasing it. May have to starve to get it on pellets. Or soak the pellet in some garlic or bloodworm juice.

ImaddictedTo_catfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2024
Not particularly unusual; I've seen Pseudopimelodus spp. refuse everything but live foods before.
They don't 'scavenge' as much as other catfish (and are typically more inactive overall). More inclined to ambush small fishes (even congeners and difficult-to-digest species like loricariids and Corydoras!)
The smaller size will likely have some impact, too- it seems like larger individuals are somewhat less picky about what they eat.
The good thing is that the fish is eating in the first place- that's oftentimes the most difficult step to overcome. I'd assume he'll start taking food without you wiggling it around as he grows.
I just find it a bit strange how he only eats it when I imitate a live fish with the shrimp

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store