septicemia? rdd? or overthinking on flagtail P.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0-.25
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
61-70%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Noticed these red bumps under my flagtail P. today. doesn’t really look like septicemia or rdd but it looks off for sure. maybe flukes, thinking about throwing him in quarantine aswell.

View attachment IMG_6175.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Doesn’t look like septicemia. Hard to make out. Would qt for now and monitor. If acting normal then watch.

Reactions: shern and tlindsey

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
going to be honest, if it is anchor worms it’ll be the first time i’ve ever gotten them so if anyone can confirm it it, lmk what i could do to cure it. got some M blue on hand but not sure if that kills the parasite itself

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to make out but if it’s just two then can pull them off with tweezers and monitor after for any recurrence. If a med is needed then try Dimlin or MICROBE-LIFT/Lice & Anchor Worm.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
Hard to make out but if it’s just two then can pull them off with tweezers and monitor after for any recurrence. If a med is needed then try Dimlin or MICROBE-LIFT/Lice & Anchor Worm.
he might've caught the worms nibbling on my plants, he's acting normal but I don't think anchors have too much of an effect on fish in terms of behavior anyway. Doesn't pulling out only take out the tail end of the parasite? ill see if I can get the worms out with some tweezers.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
he might've caught the worms nibbling on my plants, he's acting normal but I don't think anchors have too much of an effect on fish in terms of behavior anyway. Doesn't pulling out only take out the tail end of the parasite? ill see if I can get the worms out with some tweezers.
That I’m not sure specifically. I know others have been yanked off and not sure if it still lingered and became a problem.

shern

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2023
California
quite hard to snap a good picture of the flag cause he’s always moving round so much but these might be a bit clearer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store