Practical question about acrylic tank top/lid

Serpenteer

Feeder Fish
Sep 17, 2024
Have had 75 and 125 gallon tanks for decades. About to get a 180 gallon acrylic. Has to be acrylic for weight purposes. The tank is one with a “lid” built in.
I have very hard water. The top of my tanks, and especially my lids crust badly over time with evaporation and such. I don’t mind too much because I have wooden canopies. Normally, I just buy another glass lid after awhile, but the tank itself just stays crusty. Does anyone deal with this problem with an acylic top like I mentioned? Obviously, you can’t just go buy another, so I’m looking for a plan. Let alone cleaning the inside of a 30” tall tank with that built in lid.

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Have had 75 and 125 gallon tanks for decades. About to get a 180 gallon acrylic. Has to be acrylic for weight purposes. The tank is one with a “lid” built in.
I have very hard water. The top of my tanks, and especially my lids crust badly over time with evaporation and such. I don’t mind too much because I have wooden canopies. Normally, I just buy another glass lid after awhile, but the tank itself just stays crusty. Does anyone deal with this problem with an acylic top like I mentioned? Obviously, you can’t just go buy another, so I’m looking for a plan. Let alone cleaning the inside of a 30” tall tank with that built in lid.
Welcome to MFK!

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
This might not be the answer you want but you just have to clean it every so often, wipe it down once a week and the hard water deposits wont build up to the point theyre cemented to the acrylic.

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store