75 gallon in apartment

cannedham

Feeder Fish
Sep 18, 2024
Hey Everyone,

Brand new to the forum, and beginning to get back into the hobby after nearly 18 years.

I'm currently in an apartment, and was wondering if any of you all would have worries about a 75 gallon tank on a 3rd floor? The tank would go on a load bearing wall (perimeter wall), but I have no way of knowing which way the joists run. My guess is they would run them perpendicular to the load bearing wall, but I've also heard that is not always the case.
I had a 75 gallon tank on a second floor in my house growing up, and never worried about it.

Appreciate the insight Everyone! Thanks!

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Hey Everyone,

Brand new to the forum, and beginning to get back into the hobby after nearly 18 years.

I'm currently in an apartment, and was wondering if any of you all would have worries about a 75 gallon tank on a 3rd floor? The tank would go on a load bearing wall (perimeter wall), but I have no way of knowing which way the joists run. My guess is they would run them perpendicular to the load bearing wall, but I've also heard that is not always the case.
I had a 75 gallon tank on a second floor in my house growing up, and never worried about it.

First of all, welcome to MFK!
I currently have a 500-gallon pond and a 45-gallon tank in my second-floor apartment, so I don’t see why a 75-gallon tank couldn’t be kept on a third floor.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Start tapping the floor with a hammer. It will sound hollow in the open spaces. Solid where a stud is. Then you can figure the direction they are going. You want to place the tank across as many as you can to spread the weight. Studs are normally 18in on center, so you can get 3 of them. Hang the tank 6in over on the first. You get 3 studs and have another 6in hangover on the third.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey Everyone,

Welcome aboard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store