Can Oscars max out at 9"-10"?

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Not so much tank size but water quality in my experience. Hard to keep water clean with 2-9 inch oscars in a 55.
I agree; one little 4.5-inch Oscar was a pain to clean up after in a 55-gallon; I can't imagine cleaning up after two 9-inch Oscars.

Reactions: AR1

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Yah 9 inches is either a stunt, a runt or juvie size. Brick was 15 inches and nearly 4lbs. Raised in a 225 with tankmates. Waste output was a LOT even though he didn't eat nearly as much past a foot.

Glad you rescued those Os. who knows, maybe they'll tack on another inch or two in time. Stunted fish often look old (bent, lumpy, tatty fins) so it does add to the confusion of "ageing" them.

Jonnyakawombell

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
You sure they are that length? Fish look smaller in the tank. When you take them out and actually see them it can be surprising. They may be an inch or so longer than you think.
I thought my oscars were 10". They were actually 12 and 13"
I have a jurupari that looks about 7-8". He's actually about 9"
I measured them before moving them from quarantine into my tank they were both inbetween 9"-10" then, probably closer to 10" to be fair, that was 6 maybe even almost 7 months ago now, and honestly I don't think they have grown at all, at the same time I also had another baby tiger Oscar in a 125g around 4", that fish was moved to my 420g around 3 months ago when it was 7"-8" , that same tiger has now overtaken the other two in length, not in thickness\girth yet however, but I'm confident these two not growing has nothing to do with my water conditions, like others have suggested I think it could be down to being stunted being in that small tank for a long time, or maybe down to genetics im honestly not sure, but one thing I know for sure they ain't growing lol.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Jonnyakawombell

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
Yah 9 inches is either a stunt, a runt or juvie size. Brick was 15 inches and nearly 4lbs. Raised in a 225 with tankmates. Waste output was a LOT even though he didn't eat nearly as much past a foot.

Glad you rescued those Os. who knows, maybe they'll tack on another inch or two in time. Stunted fish often look old (bent, lumpy, tatty fins) so it does add to the confusion of "ageing" them.
Yeah, I'm honestly beginning to believe these 2 have been stunted unless I have 2 runts which seems unlikely, they don't look old or bent and there fins are perfect to be fair, wonder if they'll ever grow anymore or if it's permanent, time will tell I guess.

Jonnyakawombell

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
I don't agree. At least in my experience. I have seen oscars reach 13" in small tanks. I believe the small tank-stunted growth belief to be a bit myth.
Although these two were in a 55g I honestly think water quality played a massive factor with my two's growth, the water was literally green as the tank was right in front of a window and the water stunk, she may not have been doing water changes for all I know, thinking back my biggest regret is not asking her now long she had them for.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Although these two were in a 55g I honestly think water quality played a massive factor with my two's growth, the water was literally green as the tank was right in front of a window and the water stunk, she may not have been doing water changes for all I know, thinking back my biggest regret is not asking her now long she had them for.
Sounds like a perfect stunting scenario. There's no way 2 oscars in those conditions will be in ideal health and maximum potential size wise. ' Looking' healthy and being healthy are two diff things. A lot of 'healthy looking' oscars roll up from chronic nitrate poisoning over time. Main thing is they're in a much better situation now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store