How to lift glass panel?

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
UPDATE:
so I tried to lift the glass panel myself like you guys mentioned, and made it halfway there, before stumbling and falling with it. Luckily the glass didn't break, but I had to ask my dad to help me carry it, and after some exhausting effort, we finally did it. I have brought it here. However, I think we damages it a bit, at the corners and edges during the process. Is the damage too bad? Here are a few pics requested by Midwater Midwater of the project.

IMG-20241004-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20241004-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20241004-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20241004-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20241004-WA0005.jpg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yikes; this was the post I was hoping not to read, although you're lucky because it could have been much, much...much... worse. I'm not sure I'm understanding it correctly; were you attempting to carry it up the stairs, or were you actually walking across town just to get home with it?

It appears in those pics as though there is no damage that would prevent you from moving forward with this project, but it's hard to say. In the third pic, that vertical line projecting downwards from the top edge of the glass, parallel to the vertical edge...is that a crack or just some left-over silicone/caulking? If the latter, no problem; you'll need to clean every trace of that stuff off before you install the pane anyway. But if it's a crack...I wouldn't use it until I had gotten the crack to complete itself towards the edge and then removed that sliver of glass. If the crack is "incomplete" i.e. just ends in the middle of the glass, then there's always a chance it will complete itself after the build is done...and that it will veer off towards the middle rather than towards the edge. Not likely, but possible, and not worth risking IMHO.

I'd suggest using emery cloth or similar and breaking the edge anywhere you have any chipping, just to make the thing safer to work with. When you cut out the viewing window from the front panel of your box, make sure you leave enough of a frame all the way around so that you have at least an inch or more of glass to wood contact, giving you a nice wide silicone seal.

Again, Backfromthedead Backfromthedead is the all-glass DIY guy. Maybe I'm just paranoid...in fact, it's likely!...but I'd wait to hear from him on this matter. I've never personally worked with 3/4-inch glass; even 1/2-inch is much trickier to cut, at least for me, than thinner stuff.

Reactions: Midwater and AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Yikes; this was the post I was hoping not to read, although you're lucky because it could have been much, much...much... worse. I'm not sure I'm understanding it correctly; were you attempting to carry it up the stairs, or were you actually walking across town just to get home with it?
Our building is part of a row of numerous building, which are separated by a empty ground, filled with trash, leftover construction material, etc. In order to get to the front side of the building, meaning the row of shops, I must cross the ground in order to avoid a much larger detour. One of the front shops had the glass panels, meaning right besides the ground. I took the panel.and carried it half across the ground, before stumbling over a rock and falling on the panel which was in a vertical position. Thankfully, it did not break, mostly because I placed my rubber gloved hand over it. After thus I took no risk and called my dad to help me carry this.
It appears in those pics as though there is no damage that would prevent you from moving forward with this project, but it's hard to say. In the third pic, that vertical line projecting downwards from the top edge of the glass, parallel to the vertical edge...is that a crack or just some left-over silicone/caulking? If the latter, no problem; you'll need to clean every trace of that stuff off before you install the pane anyway. But if it's a crack...I wouldn't use it until I had gotten the crack to complete itself towards the edge and then removed that sliver of glass. If the crack is "incomplete" i.e. just ends in the middle of the glass, then there's always a chance it will complete itself after the build is done...and that it will veer off towards the middle rather than towards the edge. Not likely, but possible, and not worth risking IMHO.
It's just silicon , not a crack or scratch.
In retrospect i believe i gave really bad advice on moving the glass so im dropping out of this one before i cause any more havoc.
I do not believe that. You warned me of the risk, along with other members, and gave tips on how to do this safely. If it weren't for you guys, me and my dad wouldn't have lifted the glass and carried it up the stairs correctly, which could have resulted in something worse. I did this job on my own risk, and I am thankful that you were there to support me.

Now, I would love to hear a few suggestions from you.

Reactions: Midwater
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store